Home Q & A Forum
Options

Is there a way to see when a PCGS coin was graded?

Is there a way to see when a coin was graded. Looking up the cert # 450XXXXX just showed me the PCGS value but not when it was graded. Curious to know if that can be looked up. Or if the first 3 numbers represent a general or approximate timeframe?

Pocket Change Inspector

Comments

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 7:09PM

Great question that I'd like to see answered. I have a 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle that, I believe, a few years after release, PCGS decided to grade either as MS or PR. Mine is MS but would like to know if it was graded before the PR suffix was considered. Can PCGS customer service clear this up?
    *edit - I've sent the question to PCGS CS

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭

I would bet that PCGS keeps track of when coins are slabbed by cert #. Same with NGC. I don't know for sure. If they do, is the info available to the public? I would like to see the date graded listed on the cert.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 8:32PM

PCGS and NGC have the data, but they don’t make it public..

However, with that said, you can research on these forums and google the various generation holders, their range of cert numbers, and the date range of when they were produced. If a coin was resubmitted and put in a new holder but kept the same (old) cert number, you then have only the new generation holder to go by.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

PCGS CS response: "That information is only available to the customer who originally submitted the coin."

USAF veteran 1984-2005