Home Sports Talk

Charles Barkley calls Kevin Durant a failure

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Charles Barkley vs Kevin Durant feud is the gift that just keeps on giving, Sir Charles tore into Durant pretty good.

"All the old guys, he get mad we say it, (but) he piggybacked on the Warriors to win his first two championships. But if you go back and look at his career, as the best player and being the leader that all goes with that, he’s been an abject failure. Every time he’s had to be the leader and best player, he has not had success. That’s what us old guys think about him,” Barkley said. “He seems like a miserable person, man. I call him Mr. Miserable, he’s never going to be happy. Everybody’s given him everything on a silver platter. He was the man in Oklahoma City, they loved him, he owned the entire state. He bolts on them and wins back-to-back championships (with Golden State), and he’s still not happy. Then he goes to Brooklyn, they give him everything he wants and he’s still miserable.”

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

This feud started a while back when Barkley commented that Durant hasn't won a NBA title as the bus driver, meaning he hasn't been the unrivaled leader of a championship-winning team.

After the first shot was fired by Barkley, Durant appeared to respond to Barkley’s “bus rider” criticism by posting a series of photos of Chuck alongside other NBA All-Stars during his playing career. The first two pictures showed Barkley standing next to the likes of fellow Hall of Famers Scottie Pippen, Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler during his stint with the Rockets at the tail end of his career.

Durant didn’t stop there. In the next two slides of his Instagram story, the two-time Finals MVP referenced the beginning of Barkley’s playing days with the 76ers, when he took the floor with stars like Julius Erving, Moses Malone and Maurice Cheeks.

“Where would Chuck be without the big homies,” Durant wrote alongside a picture of Barkley’s early team in Philadelphia."

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chuck is right. Since KD came out with his trade demands I've been lurking on a few Nets boards to see how their fans have felt about everything going on in Brooklyn and seeing them celebrate the fact that KD & the Nets are going to stick together for awhile longer just has me scratching my head. They're all talking about the Nets returning as an NBA contender as if this past year plus never happened.
    Kyrie is still unvaccinated and prone to taking a week off out of the blue just because. Ben Simmons still hasn't played any real basketball over the past year and people around the league are still wondering if he'll even be ready to go on opening night. KD just tried pulling this huge power-play trade demand that backfired in his face and most important of all, Brooklyn brought back a head coach to a team where their two best players haven't shown any respect to the guy so why would the rest of the team do so?

I have to be honest, I can't stand Kevin Durant, he is a miserable person, he's got a bad attitude, I just can't stand the guy. I'm loving this fued, I can't wait to see Kevin Durant get butthurt about Barkley's latest comments!

And then Charles Barkley appeared on ESPNs "Get up" and repeated his bus driver comment, and Kevin Durant responded on Twitter.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 1:27PM

say what you want about Barkley, but there's usually a lot of merit attached to the words exiting his mouth

eta: i used to like Durant, but now i can't stand him. just as i used to like LeBron, but now i can't stand him either. two main faces of the NBA who have polluted the sport with their off-court antics. greener pastures for each of them can't come soon enough.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could never understand why he left the Warriors.

Have a nice day
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just thankful that Boston didn't trade for this nutcase and he's stuck in Brooklyn with Flat-Earth & Bench Simmons.

🤣🤣🤣

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all set with Durant. Him and Kyrie are probably right up there in my top 5 most hated athletes

Durant did play his heart out in Oklahoma though, I don't fault him for going to GS to get a championship

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Durant might create an account here to respond @doubledragon so be on the lookout.

Durant proves his maturity by calling Barkley an "old head" and talking about all of the money he makes.

@thisistheshow said:
    Durant might create an account here to respond @doubledragon so be on the lookout.

Durant proves his maturity by calling Barkley an "old head" and talking about all of the money he makes.

Durant doesn't want to go there, this is my homecourt, I'll issue him a mauling that will leave him butthurt for years. Besides, I don't have time to fight with a man who has feet that look like Olive Garden breadsticks.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I have to be honest, I can't stand Kevin Durant, he is a miserable person, he's got a bad attitude, I just can't stand the guy. I'm loving this fued, I can't wait to see Kevin Durant get butthurt about Barkley's latest comments!

Given that Barkley is just a step above Rodman on the ******* scale, kinda hard to go with him on this. Durant OTH, is a smooth player, the kind I like to see but hate to have playing against my team. The New Jersey drama (oops Brooklyn) is what one gets when management does not understand or appreciate personality and continues to go with flash - Hardin (LOL), Kyrie (LOFL), Simmons (LMAO) are psychos who won't ever win but dumb management just does not undestand character and how it plays in. So where does that leave Durant in all of this?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    say what you want about Barkley, but there's usually a lot of merit attached to the words exiting his mouth

eta: i used to like Durant, but now i can't stand him. just as i used to like LeBron, but now i can't stand him either. two main faces of the NBA who have polluted the sport with their off-court antics. greener pastures for each of them can't come soon enough.

I do enjoy listening to Barkley, and you are right that there is often merit to his words. As I revisit this thread and think about what Barkley said, I wish he had not used the words "abject failure" to describe all of Durant's time as the best player and leader of a team. Why do I wish this? For two reasons. First and foremost, just the thought of trying to defend Durant on these boards gives me the heebie jeebies. Second, his time in OKC, in retrospect, was not an abject failure - especially when looked at in a vacuum.