Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Is this white mold inside the currency holder? Is this even possible?!

Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 7, 2022 11:13AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Enclosed photos of note held to light, and without. It's clear to see the note has been retouched or painted over to cover the possible? Mold. Note the white spores inside the holder.

Tough CA Nationals &
Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we sure it’s mold spores ? My first thought was it’s good ‘ole paper dust.

• Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2022 6:51AM

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Are we sure it’s mold spores ? My first thought was it’s good ‘ole paper dust.

My thought too, but there's tons of it. That, and the note looks like it has dark mold. I sent it to PMG, along with other notes for crossover. They wouldn't touch and it came back ev (environ. damage)

Tough CA Nationals &

braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals

What is the value of the note please ?

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

i wonder if there deteriation going on im not sure about the paper yo? just saying

edited September 7, 2022 11:14AM

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    What is the value of the note please ?

1000 Cash, 1924

The other example sold for $440 in 2012.

Tough CA Nationals &

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda does look like mold. :s
    But I’m only guessing.

@Ted 1 said:

PCGS has graded two. Lung Tung Commercial, 1000 Cash, 1924

The other example sold for $440 in 2012.

What grade was the note that sold for $400 ?

Fine 12.

Tough CA Nationals &

edited August 27, 2022 3:49PM

@asheland said:
    But I’m only guessing.

Thought so too. Have never come across a note like this..let this be a lesson, always hold a note to the light.

Tough CA Nationals &

@Ted 1 said:

@asheland said:
    But I’m only guessing.

Thought so too. Have never come across a note like this..let this be a lesson, always hold a note to the light.

I am a bit obsessive with my collection, even though everything is PMG graded, I still take a black light to them, look at them at an angle under light, the whole 9 yards.

@asheland said:

@Ted 1 said:

@asheland said:
    But I’m only guessing.

I am a bit obsessive with my collection, even though everything is PMG graded, I still take a black light to them, look at them at an angle under light, the whole 9 yards.

Same here, most of my notes are PMG, and I'm surprised by how much they miss or omit

Tough CA Nationals &

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts on exposing the note in it's holder to UV light to kill whatever lifeforms are there? Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Ted 1 said:

@asheland said:

@Ted 1 said:

@asheland said:
    But I’m only guessing.

Same here, most of my notes are PMG, and I'm surprised by how much they miss or omit

On my purchases, I’ve been lucky, but I’ve seen other people’s holders occasionally with incorrect attribution.

At my shop where I work, a fractional note came in, initially I saw that it was a note I already had, so I went on, but later on, a closer examination showed it was the wrong seal size, and indeed was a note I needed.

I asked the boss to send it back and get it fixed and it was as good as sold. He sent it back and they fixed it for free (and they should)

It came back correct this time and in a fresh, new holder. I quickly grabbed it for the collection.

PMG is pretty good all things considered, but even they occasionally make mistakes.