Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Clearly a Mechanical Error

Saw this Pete Rose PSA 8 for sale on Ebay. Either a fake holder or a mechanical error. Clearly off-center.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314117710122?hash=item4922dfe12a:g:kSwAAOSw8hVjBP3A

Comments

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loos like a fake label. Like what eBay Auth is trying to catch

• handymanhandyman Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fake case I mean

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2022 4:54PM

Looked up the cert. Obvious fake as the photo does not match previous sale. Looking at the label - the label does not match the one that comes up on the very look-up. The scan from last sale from PSA’s website does not look like an 8 either but much better than this card.

I support the Ebay guarantee - as not all certs have photos to compare to.

Here is the real one with that cert…

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

=

@brad31 said:
    Looked up the cert. Obvious fake as the photo does not match previous sale. Looking at the label - the label does not match the one that comes up on the very look-up. The scan from last sale from PSA’s website does not look like an 8 either but much better than this card.

Great info. A perfect example of why the Ebay guarantee is needed. Thanks.

• @JBrules said:

@brad31 said:

it's needed for people jumping in that have no clue what they are doing, the flip in the original post is clearly fake and does not match any of the previous iterations of PSA labels

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

@JBrules said:

@brad31 said:

it's needed for people jumping in that have no clue what they are doing, the flip in the original post is clearly fake and does not match any of the previous iterations of PSA labels

While this one looked off - I have seen several examples I would not be able to tell the difference.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really bad flip. You can see the 'S' in Topps is pretty much lined up with the 'E' in Rose on the bad one whereas the 'S' on the authentic one is a full space past the E.

Daniel
    edited August 27, 2022 6:16AM

Also the 1968 seems smaller and doesn’t line up with the rest of the text. Really terrible fake.

• BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fonts aren’t the same. Just compare the ‘NM-MT’ in each.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I contacted the seller informing him that it is a fake PSA holder and have yet to hear back from him.

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@JBrules said:

Don't jump for joy just yet. It hasn't even failed the authentication...lol

I am certain this will happen the more PSA authenticates BGS/CSG/etc cases that are not of their own design. They absolutely will not be liable since there is no true guarantee of the authentication once your couple of days to return is expired...the guarantee also ends immediately then... I still am forecasting this entire process blows up within 1 year.