Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question - new holder/certification

I recently bought a 1959 Mantle on eBay and it went through the authentication process. However, it looks like the card is encased within the holder with some kind of wrapping. Is this is a new thing? I’ve never seen anything like it on other cards.

Comments

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

Here’s a better picture. Bottom corners.

• Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭

PSA does that from time to time when they think the card will slide around in the holder. Really no clue how they determine that since 99% of cards from the same set probably don't have it.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@smallstocks said:
    PSA does that from time to time when they think the card will slide around in the holder. Really no clue how they determine that since 99% of cards from the same set probably don't have it.

Interesting. That would explain why I haven’t seen it. To be honest, I absolutely hate it. So much so I’m ready to sell it. It’s distracting and adds glare when you look at the card.

• Options
    ejohnejohn Posts: 42 ✭✭

Ive seen it happen also. Had one and sold it. Cant stand it. They tend to do that on the more valuable cards. My understanding is they do that to prevent the card from moving around. If the card is in danger of moving around then it should not be graded but rather marked as minimum size.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@ejohn said:
    Ive seen it happen also. Had one and sold it. Cant stand it. They tend to do that on the more valuable cards. My understanding is they do that to prevent the card from moving around. If the card is in danger of moving around then it should not be graded but rather marked as minimum size.

I find it funny that 9 out of 10 1986 Fleer Sticker Kareem Abdul Jabaar stickers get sent back for minsizerq even though they are factory cut. Who comes up with these types of decisions?