Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

RIP LEN DAWSON

He was 87.

Comments

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

He was the greatest QB of the 60's and hopefully starts getting recognized as such.

RIP

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lenny was Alright…

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Too young to remember him playing, but Inside the NFL was a big part of my football education growing up. It's still amazing to think we used to wait until Wednesday each week to see someone breakdown highlights. His card is one of the favorites of my collection.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:
    He was the greatest QB of the 60's and hopefully starts getting recognized as such.

RIP

You know, statistics do show that. He was more efficient than the others. Obviously a terrific player.

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Love the pic of him with the halftime heater and Fresca in the locker room!

RIP to a fellow Boilermaker.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@countdouglas said:

Athletes of the past were so much cooler than a lot of the robot athletes of today. Great pic!

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@ArtVandelay said:

RIP

You know, statistics do show that. He was more efficient than the others. Obviously a terrific player.

He won an AFL and an NFL championship in the 60's as well. Unitas often gets called the greatest QB in the 60's yet lacks even a single championship win in the 60's. In my humble opinion the top 5 QB's of the 60's look like this.

1. Len Dawson
    2. Bart Starr
    3. Sonny Jurgeson
    4. Johnny Unitas
    5. Fran Tarkenton
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 8:13PM

@ArtVandelay said:

@Mickey71 said:

@ArtVandelay said:

RIP

He won an AFL and an NFL championship in the 60's as well. Unitas often gets called the greatest QB in the 60's yet lacks even a single championship win in the 60's. In my humble opinion the top 5 QB's of the 60's look like this.

1. Len Dawson
    2. Bart Starr
    3. Sonny Jurgeson
    4. Johnny Unitas
    5. Fran Tarkenton

I don't disagree; but I will say it is hard to grade the QB's of the era. Starr was efficient but really had no yardage. I think I would put Unitas 2nd in the 60's. Unitas was better for the whole career than anyone up until the 80's. Then the video game stats started to show up. Now it's out of control.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ArtVandelay said:

@Mickey71 said:

@ArtVandelay said:

RIP

1. Len Dawson
    2. Bart Starr
    3. Sonny Jurgeson
    4. Johnny Unitas
    5. Fran Tarkenton

FWIW, by "Approximate Value" which is football's answer to WAR, it goes Tarkenton (by a huge margin), then John Hadl, Unitas, Dawson, and Jurgensen. Tarkenton's margin is so large that it seems to damp out any measurement error and suggests that he's pretty clearly the best. This also suggests that Hadl merits pretty serious consideration for the HoF, but that's a sandbox I don't play in.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

A classic. One for the ages.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".