Home Sports Talk
Options

Pitchers being pulled with no-hitters/perfect games going

SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 20, 2022 6:59AM in Sports Talk

Dusty Baker has just committed a crime in Houston.

Justin Verlander has pitched 6 innings, struck out 10, walked none. The ONLY BASERUNNER he allowed was on a 3rd strike-passed ball. No-Hitter going, but Baker pulls him after 6 innings and only 91 pitches!

Steve

Comments

• Options

First hitter in the 7th inning, Carlos Correa, gets a base hit.

Steve

• Options

I can't say what I really feel about this, because it wouldn't be allowed, and Todd would have to ban me.

Suffice it to say that BASEBALL REALLY SUCKS with this obsession with pitch counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options

Verlander had a chance to tie Sandy Koufax with his 4th NO HITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&#@%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Too many pitches tonight.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the game. Verlander was masterful.

The Twins announcer mentioned that Verlander has recently had arm surgery, so that could be a big factor.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    I watched the game. Verlander was masterful.

The Twins announcer mentioned that Verlander has recently had arm surgery, so that could be a big factor.

Yea, he had Tommy John surgery in 2020, and missed 2021.

Steve

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

just looked up Verlander's season stats

holy cannoli he's dealing @ 39

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    After 91 pitches in 6 IP, there was no way he was going to finish the game anyway so what's the point? Unless you want him to blow out his arm in a barely meaningful game while your team is chasing a pennant.

This sums it up perfectly

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    just looked up Verlander's season stats

holy cannoli he's dealing @ 39

HE might be 39, but he now has a younger arm! :-)

Actually enjoyed watching him dominate my Twins, they blew a chance to tie it up later.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

my only comment on Verlander

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of the things that has ruined baseball for me. And the funny thing is that more and more I'm hearing baseball insiders and experts admit that keeping these guys in such low counts is not really keeping them healthier. I agree that you don't want the young guys throwing curve balls, etc. But beyond that they need to learn how to work and recover and use those muscles. It leads to the best pitching and the best baseball.

I used to love when a guy was starting and you just knew that he was a guy who often went deep in the game. The third and fourth times through the lineup would let the master pitchers show who they really are and the master hitters too.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

1971 Fergie Jenkins went 24-13 with a Cubs team that finished just above 500.

Fergie started 39 games and completed 30 of those games. Only 2 no decisions. 325 innings pitched.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

With the pitch-count obsession, you know you're not going to see anything historic from a pitcher these days, so WHAT'S THE POINT IN EVEN WATCHING????????????????????????????

Earlier this season, Dave Roberts pulled Clayton Kershaw after 7 innings, and 80 pitches, with a PERFECT GAME going! He was trying to "keep him healthy for the whole season". Well, how did that work out for you, Dave?????

I'm done with the regular season.....F-IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just tell me when the playoffs start, then I MIGHT think about watching.

Steve

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Verlander asked to be pulled. Showered and Had to get home to the wifey.

Have a nice day
  • Options

Follow up, the Astros are killing the Twins.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2022 2:28AM

And it happened again!

Verlander, 5 innings, no hits, 9 Ks, 79 pitches.

Gets pulled, reliever comes in and gives up 2 hits.

Verlander had one start after the one that generated this thread, and he left after three innings due to a muscle strain or something; this was his first outing since then. So, that's twice in three starts that he has been pulled after at least five innings of no-hit ball.

Has any pitcher ever had that happen before, where they've been pulled after 5 or more innings, with a no-hitter on the line, multiple times over such a short span?

Steve

• Options

Last night, Max Scherzer got pulled after six innings, having thrown only 68 pitches.

He had 9 K's, and was pitching a PERFECT GAME!!!!!

BUCK FACEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is really stupid in my opinion that starters are not being stretched out to go deep into games. there are few players more valuable, especially in the postseason, than a stud #1 starter.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    It is really stupid in my opinion that starters are not being stretched out to go deep into games. there are few players more valuable, especially in the postseason, than a stud #1 starter.

That's why Scherzer was pulled. It was his first game back from the IL, and the value to the Mets is in having a stud like Scherzer available for the postseason, not risking using him up/ injuring him in a game that may or may not end as a no-hitter/perfect game.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@craig44 said:

That's why Scherzer was pulled. It was his first game back from the IL, and the value to the Mets is in having a stud like Scherzer available for the postseason, not risking using him up/ injuring him in a game that may or may not end as a no-hitter/perfect game.

100%. He was on a pitch count for his first game back regardless of the situation. You dont win trophies in September.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scherzer is not coming out of the game unless he agrees to come out, if you know anything about his temperament. I'm sure it was part of a plan to keep the 43 million man available for the games that matter.

• Options
    edited September 20, 2022 9:35AM

Rockhead Baldummy pulled Joe Ryan with a no hitter going the other night after a little over 100 pitches. Ryan is a young guy who throws primarily fast balls that aren't that hard on the arm. I am so tired of analytics. The fans have been taken out of the equation.

• Options

Last year, seven pitchers pitched no-hitters.

This year, only one has done it (Reid Detmers).

Steve

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

Why is it that these modern pitchers who are so much better shape, with better training and diets and they can't throw a complete game. I believe in 1973 Nolan Ryan started 41 games and pitched 328 innings averaging 8 innings per start. Now nobody can last eight innings in any start.

Matt

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not that they can't. It's that the analytics show it's better if they don't.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    It's not that they can't. It's that the analytics show it's better if they don't.

This is absolutely correct!

However, analytics are all about performance "on the average" and does not recognize when a player has everything going for him.

Twins manager Baldelli is a big analytics guy, he consistently leaves guys in when they can't pitch (that day) and removes them when they are pitching well.

Analytics are a great way to help make decisions but shouldn't be the only way, imo.