Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Roman Empire Denarius

This NGC graded Denarius from 193 - 211 AD. Could anyone give me a rough estimate of value? I collect I do not sell but still would like to know the value.

Thanks

“May the wind be at your back, and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft, to dance with the stars.”

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a nice coin, but common. Since it's slabbed, about $120. If it was not slabbed, $85 tops.

• Options

Oh nice I paid $50 from a shop in Florida. Thank you so much for the information

“May the wind be at your back, and the sun upon your face, and may the wings of destiny carry you aloft, to dance with the stars.”

• Options

You got a decent deal then. On ebay, if bought raw, thats about what it would go for, $50. My $85 is dealer store price.

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll be the contrarian, sorry. The coin is probably only worth about $40 (unless it’s a rare variety, which I don’t think it is) and the slab adds no value at this grade level.

The price was ok but not great. Similar examples can be found on vcoins for about $40-50 and that is retail pricing.

These Severan coins are just so common, there are a tremendous amount out there, and many in high grade.

• Options

I detest slabbed ancients, but one can look on ebay and see a common ancient in a slab goes for much more then a raw ancient in the same grade. It's just how it is and that's why I mentioned the two differences.