Home Sports Talk

Rocky Colavito, Frank Howard and Reggie Smith HOF?

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2022 10:51AM in Sports Talk

I would like to see Rocky Colavito and Frank Howard in the HOF (within their lifetime and please keep in mind that both are in their upper 80's...) which may not happen due for reasons that simply defy logic as well as the ignorance of those that vote that really do not represent what matters... both Colavito and Howard represent what is worth representing in the HOF which at some point really needs to re-enter the equation in the selection process.

Reggie Smith is one of those players that was an excellent athlete worthy of recognition into Cooperstown and still may not be recognized for an exceptional career.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smith is kind of near the best players who have been overlooked, Howard and Colavito are not. What is "worth representing" that is left out by the exclusion of those two?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way Vin Scully spoke of Frank Howard basically says it all in terms of his character and sportsmanship. We need someone like Howard from the pre-steroid era that exemplifies what the game was and still can be.

As for Colavito... he was on track to be the most beloved player in franchise history had Cleveland not traded him to Detroit. Colavito was immensely popular for the person he was on and off the field.

I see much of Colavito's career as being overshadowed by Mantle. One needs to look no further than the 1961 season- The Tigers won over 100 games and finished second to the Yankees. Colavito put up outstanding numbers worthy of MVP consideration if it had been any other year than 1961. He was an outstanding fielder with a terrific arm.

I think we can just agree to disagree about both Howard and Colavito as stats really are not a measurement of character.

I am not going to suggest who is or is not among the best players that are not in the HOF. Smith was simply a terrific all-around player and is worthy of the most series consideration to be in the Hall. When and in what order this should happen in is problematic... mainly because over time it is less probable it ever will happen.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fans in Cleveland wanted to burn down the Stadium when "the Rock" was traded.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2022 8:43PM

Howard certainly has the reputation of being a true gentleman. Means a lot to me but little to many.

Colavito had a cannon for an arm and was also in the running for MVP in 1959, although I might have given it ti Mantle or Kaline. Killebrew had an awesome first full year as well.

Reggie Smith looks solid as well, lots of good years in Boston, but his best two years were later with the Dodgers.

None of these guys played in 2000 games, so with shorter careers, they might be overlooked?

Certainly they all played long enough and hit well enough to merit consideration, but where do you draw the line?

I wouldn't be disappointed if they never get in the HOF, nor would I be upset if they did.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set