Home Sports Talk
Options

The Howard Cosell toupee incident

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

A moment in sports history that you may or may not know about.

Alan Scott LeDoux, nicknamed "The Fighting Frenchman, was a politician, professional heavyweight boxer, professional wrestler and referee. LeDoux began his professional boxing career in 1974. His first boxing match was a knockout victory over Arthur Pullens. LeDoux's final bout in 1983 was a technical knockout loss to Frank Bruno. LeDoux retired with a record of 33-13-4 (22 knockouts). LeDoux's opponents included Ken Norton, Ron Lyle, Gerrie Coetzee, Leon Spinks, Greg Page, Frank Bruno, George Foreman, Mike Weaver, and Larry Holmes. In his match with Leon Spinks, LeDoux earned a 'draw', just months before Spinks defeated Ali. But LeDoux is also famous for an incident in which he knocked off broadcaster Howard Cosell's toupee in a scuffle that followed a losing effort against Johnny Boudreaux. LeDoux insisted the fight with Boudreaux was fixed by Don King and he ranted to Cosell to "Tell it like it is" mimicking Cosell's famous catch phrase. A pushing match ensued and in the process, Cosell's headset along with his toupee was dislodged by an errant LeDoux shove in front of live ABC cameras. Cosell quickly retrieved his hair from the floor and replaced it on top of his head. Below is a video of Alan LeDoux talking about this famous incident.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SON_Spm7fcE

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope everyone enjoyed the story of the famous Howard Cosell toupee incident, that concludes this short, yet entertaining, thread!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Ali - Cosell moments are what I remember. While Ali will... and rightfully so be remembered as a boxer for the ages, he really had this demeanor to just capture the moment in a way that it should be remembered. And this image in the previous post captures in spades what I am trying to express.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.