Home U.S. Coin Forum

Penny Red Stamp identification

I would like to know if anyone can assist with identifying the penny red stamp attached. It has the F & O is all corners. I have not been able to find one identical. If so, please let me know where I can find it.

Thanking all in advance
slb

Comments

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a coin forum?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

try the stamp area

• https://www.warwickandwarwick.com/news/guides/the-penny-red-stamps-guide. It’s a very common stamps, the characters change at the corners.

• ms71ms71 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2022 11:42AM

I believe the characters in the corners tell you the stamp's position on the pane (sheet).

British stamps, beginning in 1858. Instead of having stars in the upper corners and check letters in the lower corners, the new stamps have check letters in all four corners. The check letters in the lower corners are still the ones used to determine the stamps plate position, with the check letters in the upper corners being the same two letters but in reverse order of those in the bottom corners. (Wikipedia)

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Klif50Klif50 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭

It's a very common, early, 1 pence postage stamp of Great Britain. As already stated the letters in the corner are the plate position of the stamp on the sheet/pane. In the mid 1970's, when stationed in Englad with the US Air Force, I bought several thousand of these fairly cheaply and was able to reconstruct a full pane (they were not from the same sheet but I was able to find every plate position in that batch). In the end it made a very nice display but was worth very little.

Enjoy that stamp of any others you may have and visit the Stamps Forum on this site.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file