Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chances of MS70 @ PCGS?

spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this ANACS 1986 silver eagle MS70, and was considering trying to crossover to PCGS holder but I noticed a couple minor flaws on the I and T of UNITED, and was wondering what you guys think? It is hard to tell if it's a die flaw or impact mark for sure... but it almost looks as if the metal might have flowed away from that flaw a small amount. I know it's hard to tell without having it in hand, just curious if I should try to cross it or if that would be too much?

The rest of the coin is flawless from what I can tell under 40x magnification and light.

TIA

Comments

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Zero. PCGS will not cross a 70 graded coin. If you want a 70 you need to buy one already certified by PCGS or make one.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    Zero. PCGS will not cross a 70 graded coin. If you want a 70 you need to buy one already certified by PCGS or make one.

    Well, according to PCGS:
    Effective February 25, 2014, PCGS Collectors Club Members and PCGS Authorized Dealers can submit crossover coins, previously graded 70 by another grading service, to PCGS and specify MS70 or PR70 as the minimum grade.

    Unless you are saying no one has successfully crossed a 70 coin with them?

  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just wondering why you would change holders on bullion. A proof maybe but I learn something new all the time.
    Is it part of a pcgs collection your building? Just curious , I’m not trying to slam you, I enjoy your posts and think your knowledgeable.
    Thanks Jzyskowski and the boys 😉🙀🦫

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Jzyskowski1 said:
    Just wondering why you would change holders on bullion. A proof maybe but I learn something new all the time.
    Is it part of a pcgs collection your building? Just curious , I’m not trying to slam you, I enjoy your posts and think your knowledgeable.
    Thanks Jzyskowski and the boys 😉🙀🦫

    The price difference between an ANACS ms70 VS a pcgs ms70 of a 1986 silver eagle is not insignificant.

  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It looks like you are correct no I missed that update so many years ago. For many years PCGS refused to cross 70 grades, but they obviously changed their policy. You can tell how few modern 70 coins I ever tried to cross!

    Thank you for the info.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @TomB said:
    It looks like you are correct no I missed that update so many years ago. For many years PCGS refused to cross 70 grades, but they obviously changed their policy. You can tell how few modern 70 coins I ever tried to cross!

    Thank you for the info.

    Well considering a 39% success rate of crossing (https://www.pcgs.com/statistics), I know the odds aren't fabulous... just curious what some of the experts here might think regarding what I see as potentially minor flaws on those two letters, and the T in particular.

  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

    But there’s expenses involved in reslabbing and shipping etc. plus it might come back a69. I see you would put a minimum of 70. Your still 30-40 bucks. They’re worth that much more?
    I’m a fan of anacs but I don’t resell, only collect so I’m not knowledgeable 😁
    Thanks 😉🙀🦫

    🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Jzyskowski1 they can sell for double. Or more. So if it has a chance of crossing it can be worth it.

  • Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If the area on the T is the only flaw on the entire coin, I would say it’s a coin flip on getting a 70 at pcgs. Definitely submit it under the crossover option, and do not crack it out and submit raw. I’d suggest submitting at Long Beach when pcgs offers the $10 crossover special at the show (best odds and best price). Might take several cross attempts but probably will be worth it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file