Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1948 Swell Sport Thrills PSA 6 Jackie Robinson rookie at Goldin Auctions...getting proper attention

1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have pictured below the 1963 issue of The Card Collector that features a write-up about the Sport Thrills set and some additional info about the write up that was in there. The Card Collector issue is quite rare in its own right.

Major auction houses are beginning to take proper notice on the significance of the Jackie Robinson rookie card and are finally pointing out the fact of there being less than 200 PSA graded examples(far more rare than the Leaf card), and is also made a year prior than the Leaf card. Leaf is a 1949 issue.

One thing they have not pointed out yet is the fact that this is the first card to exclaim that Robinson was the first of his race to play in MLB, but more importantly and more historically significant, is the fact that this card is the ONLY card of that era to touch upon the duress in his breaking the color barrier.

This is my job now.....carrying on what the 1963 Card Collector began...and shining light on this rare card(and set).

This is not my card BTW in Goldin, but spreading the word on this absolute gem, and pointing out some key facets that make it more significant than any of his other cards, has become a passion for me. The hobby participants should not be kept in the dark on a card like this.

As for the PSA 6 grade. There are only five cards graded higher with a 7 being the highest. The card is almost always off center.
This is as a condition sensitive card as there is in the hobby.

The editor of the Card Collector in the 1960's highlighted the set in a 1963 issue and explained how it was rare and extremely hard to get this set even back then.

Furthermore, the editor said(in his later years) that had he chosen the Robinson card to picture in that issue that it may not have flown under the radar as it did for decades. He explained that the focus was on sets back then, not individual cards, and certainly not rookie cards.

The set features cards of mostly highlights of different players in history, but the Swell CO. made a special inclusion by inserting the Robinson card in as timely inclusion due to the significance of him breaking the color barrier.

The Robinson card on the back has a detailed biography about Jackie's advanced billing, his play on the field, and his rookie of the year honor; and is more than just one of Robinson's highlights like most other cards in the set...although if the card was only about Jackie breaking the color barrier and highlighting the most significant event of baseball history, I think that would be enough to vault it to the stratosphere....the rookie debut of the most important rookie ever.

Here is the issue of the 1963 Card Collector. I took a few pics to show:

PS the Sport Thrills set features the LAST card made of Babe Ruth while he was still alive :smile: Also great portraits of Lou Gehrig and Bob Feller. Cards of Ted Williams and Joe Dimaggio as well. Jimmy Foxx. Walter Johnson. Loaded with the elite of the game.