Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

FS: 1857-S $20 PC58 CAC SS Central America Gold Label

Beautiful historic coin with great color and tons of luster. Comes with original packaging. A great historical relic. If you haven’t read Ship of Gold, I highly recommend it. Asking $6,590. I have plenty of references. Fine with check, PayPal FF, Venmo, etc. Happy to send video and additional images on request.

Comments

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2022 7:00PM

There is suppose to be a matching serial number COA in that envelope.

• Options
    GrantuGrantu Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

Wow, what a coin!

• Options
    Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:

I must have misplaced the little COA business card. Don’t believe authenticity is in question here.

• Options
    CalifornianKingCalifornianKing Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:

@JimTyler said:

I must have misplaced the little COA business card. Don’t believe authenticity is in question here.

Nahhh. The PCGS slab means nothing… only that COA lol. 🤣

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

That most likely is not the original packaging for that coin. Many sold without packaging at all then later someone adds leftover box. Card doesn’t match so it disappears. Most people don’t give a 💩 that’s why boxes disappear and coin sells slab only. I like my historical relic to include complete original historical documentation. That’s just me, I’m weird 🤪

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Beautiful piece of History

MIKE B.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    That most likely is not the original packaging for that coin. Many sold without packaging at all then later someone adds leftover box. Card doesn’t match so it disappears. Most people don’t give a 💩 that’s why boxes disappear and coin sells slab only. I like my historical relic to include complete original historical documentation. That’s just me, I’m weird 🤪

This is the original packaging and it came from Blanchard’s with the COA. The COA is most likely in the SDB, which is in another city. I have not searched for it yet. I may be able to find it when I’m back that way, but maybe not. For those who place great importance on a COA, this coin is not for you as I can’t promise I’ll find it. For those who are curious about the mysterious COA, here’s an example of what the COA would look like. This particular COA example is from the other SSCA $20 I have, which was part of the same Blanchard’s transaction as the present coin offered for sale. The COA is signed by the illustrious Tommy Thompson, who last time I checked was in jail for contempt of court.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2022 9:00PM

5801 :D

In all seriousness, that’s a beautiful coin. I’m sure it will sell soon.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

If you haven’t read Ship of Gold, I highly recommend it.

Although I can't afford your spectacular double eagle, I want to thank you for the recommendation. A captivating read, and surprisingly well-written (something I no longer take for granted).

And no wonder, as it turns out the author has a sideline business teaching writing to attorneys.

OTOH, I am mystified that the book contains no photos.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin...hard to believe it was under water all that time!

K

ANA LM
  • Options

@conrad99 said:

Although I can't afford your spectacular double eagle, I want to thank you for the recommendation. A captivating read, and surprisingly well-written (something I no longer take for granted).

And no wonder, as it turns out the author has a sideline business teaching writing to attorneys.

Glad you liked it! I agree that it’s a well written book, and a great read. For great images, I suggest you buy America’s Lost Treasure by Tommy Thompson. It’s a good coffee book table with fascinating pictures and you can find plenty of inexpensive used copies on eBay.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece! :)

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 350 ✭✭✭

@Wahoo554 said:

@conrad99 said:

Glad you liked it! I agree that it’s a well written book, and a great read. For great images, I suggest you buy America’s Lost Treasure by Tommy Thompson. It’s a good coffee book table with fascinating pictures and you can find plenty of inexpensive used copies on eBay.

Excellent! Thanks for the tip.

Though I'm late to the Central America party, I find everything to do with it very compelling.