Home Q & A Forum
Options

Possible toning on ANACS holders CAUSE?

JWPJWP Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been going through my West Point quarters and getting them ready for sale on BST, when I came across a COUPLE ANACS holders that seem to have the quarters in some state of toning. I know the light makes it hard to tell from a photo but when I hold them my hand and compare them to the War and Peace quarter I can definitely see a gold tint in different stages on the different quarters. My question is? Are these holders susceptible to causing a coin to be toned or is it just a natural occurrence with not only this holder but with other graders holders? I pulled these quarters out of the listing that I had for sale because I didn't know if anybody would really be that interested in buying them and didn't really notice them at first . Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for looking.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Best Answers

• Options

Thanks

• Options

thanks

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2022 9:06AM Answer ✓

You can prevent or at least slow down this kind of toning in the holder if you store your slabs in intercept shield slab boxes and/or store your slabs in an airtight container with desiccant. Coin slabs aren’t 100% airtight and atmospheric sulphides and acids can end up affecting the coins surface. Also sometimes, with some holders like the old PCI slabs, the insert label sometimes outgasses sulphides. According to literature, wood and cardboard outgas sulphides and sometimes volatile acids much more when the relative humidity goes up to higher than 40% and as the humidity goes higher even more outgassing can occur. Temperature fluctuations can even cause condensation to occur if the humidity isn’t kept low, which really speeds up toning/discoloration reactions.

These are the type of intercept shield slab boxes I’m talking about that are made out of cardboard impregnated with copper particles that are more reactive than the coins in the slab and absorb atmospheric toning agents before they can get to the coins

Mr_Spud

• Options

Thanks for that information I'll look into it and see what I can do. Thanks again

Answers

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

It's going to happen in any holder. Nothing unusual, completely natural!

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I've had coins that I could swear toned a little in the holders while I owned them. However only noticed this on a couple of Buffalo nickels and a few moderns I had with one being a state quarter.

Pocket Change Inspector