Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Not a Fan of New eBay Authenticity Guarantee

2»

Comments

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    What do you guys do with the holders? I am keeping my cards in the for protection.

The holders don't fit in the graded boxes of cards I already have so I just set the holders aside.

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    We can endlessly debate the pros and cons of the eBay authentication service. All I know is, I bought a tough PSA 9 1972 high number common from a seller 45 minutes away from me. Because the card cost $250 instead of $240, I will now wait two weeks to get my card instead of two days as it is shipped all over the country and back. For what? I know the slab isn’t fake, it’s a total waste of time, an increase in the risk of loss or damage, and with no upside.

Please make it optional, at least below a certain dollar value. 🙏

I know I'm going to get crapped on for saying this, but this is why I like to reach out to the seller and try to deal off ebay...

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am a buyer who would always opt in. My argument is that by making it mandatory EBay essentially eliminated fake slabs from the platform. For once EBay did something positive to stop the newest large form of fraud (fake slabs) before it became something we all have in our collection.

Two good argument videos for it broke in the last few weeks - the canceled cert ‘52 Mays being sold by Goldin and brought to light by Neo and the backdoored Griffey with dupe serial numbers from Cards and Comics.

https://youtu.be/bPVaWIei2NQ

https://youtu.be/D7Vc4s8z-RU

• Options
    farmboy27farmboy27 Posts: 24 ✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2023 9:31AM

Never been a fan of this service, either (been through it about a dozen times as a buyer and have yet to have a positive experience).

As I've told eBay directly over the phone multiple times, while I don't mind another pair of eyes looking over a high-end purchase, what I do mind is another pair of hands unnecessarily handling a raw card, resleeving it and potentially dinging a corner, holdering the card inside a Card Saver which -- long term -- will damage anything thicker than an '88 Donruss card, and then strapping it down in a holder with elastic straps in which the bottom-right strap acts like a vise grip that can press/flatten that corner from the extra pressure. . .

Also, because the card is coming directly from eBay and everything the seller used for holdering and packaging the card ends up being discarded by eBay, there's basically no incentive for the buyer to leave feedback for the seller as, aside from the seller shipping to eBay in a timely manner, any service provided by the seller is pretty much meaningless (not to mention the extra shipping time as shipping a high-end card through the mail once is stressful enough -- shipping it twice is just asking for trouble imo).

That said, I've attached a couple examples of how competent eBay/CSG is when it comes to this service (keep in mind these came directly from a company that grades cards -- you'd think they'd know better than to put an extra thick 1/1 patch card in a Card Saver and, yes, the corners of that card were damaged as a result and eBay eventually issued a partial refund).

Kory

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    I am a buyer who would always opt in. My argument is that by making it mandatory EBay essentially eliminated fake slabs from the platform.

That’s only if we believe that the fake slabs will be detected and removed without error. The likelihood of that would go up if they were dealing with a lower volume of slabs with a greater likelihood of being fake.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm OK with it, but I don't sell and am never in a hurry to have my cards arrive. When they arrive I'm good, because they go straight in the collection. I'd rather have the extra layer of scrutiny/protection than not.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    I'm OK with it, but I don't sell and am never in a hurry to have my cards arrive. When they arrive I'm good, because they go straight in the collection. I'd rather have the extra layer of scrutiny/protection than not.

That sounds good in theory. But think about the process of applying for credit. I’d rather be asked for ten different documents to establish my identity, and that would all but eliminate identity fraud. But the decision was made long ago that risking identity fraud is preferable to inconveniencing an applicant to an extent that they bail.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2023 12:04PM

@PaulMaul said:

@BBBrkrr said:

That sounds good in theory. But think about the process of applying for credit. I’d rather be asked for ten different documents to establish my identity, and that would all but eliminate identity fraud. But the decision was made long ago that risking identity fraud is preferable to inconveniencing an applicant to an extent that they bail.

I assume if EBay sees buyers bail based on waiting a couple of weeks for their card they will adjust the thresholds or abandon the program. The fact they have not probably means the program is at a minimum tolerated by its customers on the buy side and possibly even welcomed.

• Options

@brad31 said:

@PaulMaul said:

@BBBrkrr said:

I assume if EBay sees buyers bail based on waiting a couple of weeks for their card they will adjust the thresholds or abandon the program. The fact they have not probably means the program is at a minimum tolerated by its customers on the buy side and possibly even welcomed.

That’s not something that would be easy to detect. I know I have limited my offers/bidding in some cases to make sure not to exceed the $250 threshold when I otherwise might have. I’m not sure how that behavior would be distinguishable.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

So it seems the main points:
    Proponents - An extra layer of security for fakes as well as extra seal of authenticity
    Opponents - Extra risk of damage/theft and delay of time

It's realistic to say there is less fraud on ebay now as well as it's realistic to say there are more cards being damaged from the process.

I think becoming optional would be the best to make everyone happy.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@BBBrkrr said:

As someone that had his identity stolen about 15 years ago I'll just say that all the businesses and police didn't seem to care at all about the (almost) $40K those scumbags stole in my name. That leads me to believe they're all much more interested in keeping the credit flowing than the amounts that get stolen. They even had the address of the guy and never did anything.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2023 3:05PM

Those of you who want the service to be optional be careful of what you wish. eBay like any corporation will do it in a manner that is NOT to your benefit.

Example if they make it optional they will almost certainly make it so declining the authentication will invalidate the eBay buyer protections. They certainly will not do it in a manner that might cost them money. Then with that in place they will institute a mandatory buyer and seller charge for the authentication.

PayPal may even figure out how to invalidate their buyer protection unless some authentication proof is provided to them by eBay...

Again folks, be very careful for what you wish as you may very well get it!

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2023 5:54PM

One way or another all sellers/buyers are covering the costs. Invalidating the buyer guarantee is an interesting point.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    We can endlessly debate the pros and cons of the eBay authentication service. All I know is, I bought a tough PSA 9 1972 high number common from a seller 45 minutes away from me. Because the card cost $250 instead of $240, I will now wait two weeks to get my card instead of two days as it is shipped all over the country and back. For what? I know the slab isn’t fake, it’s a total waste of time, an increase in the risk of loss or damage, and with no upside.

Please make it optional, at least below a certain dollar value. 🙏

Upside is eBay not having to worry about SNADs.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    I am a buyer who would always opt in. My argument is that by making it mandatory EBay essentially eliminated fake slabs from the platform. For once EBay did something positive to stop the newest large form of fraud (fake slabs) before it became something we all have in our collection.

Two good argument videos for it broke in the last few weeks - the canceled cert ‘52 Mays being sold by Goldin and brought to light by Neo and the backdoored Griffey with dupe serial numbers from Cards and Comics.

https://youtu.be/bPVaWIei2NQ

https://youtu.be/D7Vc4s8z-RU

Just like a lot of mandatory protections for "your safety", it is for the moronic and lazy, just like the Griffey backdoor buyer. Seller wasn't hiding anything. Buyer said there should have been a more clear description it was a backdoor card. It's right in the frickin title! LOL. Then he said well, it was one of the last words in the title. Guess his zero attention span doesn't allow him to read ALL THE WAY to the end of 15 word title. LOL. (Yet he put out a 13 min video with 2 min of content). He admitted having auction fever and then had buyer's remorse.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2023 3:52AM

First I take the card out (graded) and scan it. I guess that voids the warranty. However, I want a hi res scan.

Next the box goes to the circular business file. I should add that if this service goes to a pay service I will stop completely from buying on ebay.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

I guess I don't understand the point of keeping the box it gets put in. And it's been mentioned a couple times here that some do keep them. Why not just discard it when it arrives if you're taking the card out anyways? If you're keeping it for resale value, what would stop a dishonest seller from replacing the genuine slab with a fake and selling it on a different platform that doesn't participate in the service? Or does it give the new buyer on FB marketplace the warm and fuzzies that once upon a time, it got authenticated even though it could've been swapped in the meantime?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know how long the authenticity review is presently taking for PSA graded cards? I have a card sitting at PSA since 6/10 that's still "being examined." I thought it was 2 business days for trading cards? The whole program sounds like one big clusterfuck to me.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grote...

I recently had the Stargell RC in authentication for just two days...

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

For gradrd cards it takes about 2 days.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2023 4:46AM

I've only purchased a single card with the guarantee, all did go nicely.

Seller mailed cards to PSA on Monday, PSA received it Tues, PSA fedex'd it to me on Wed. I received it Friday.

In this case the seller was under 20 miles from PSA's address, Which means I encountered from beginning to end the best case scenario.

The biggest surprise is Fedex actually got the card to me. First time in years for me they have not lost or damaged or delivered my shipment to wrong addresses.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2023 6:15AM

I ended up getting my card in a timely manner, but the tracking was completely messed up. I thought my card was still at PSA after nearly a week, then it showed up the next day without ever having been scanned in CA.

Hate the program.