Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Are there many women who collect coins?

My guess is no and probably a ratio of 1000 to 1 versus men. Do men collect more because we are natural hunters?

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is your experience say at large coin shows?

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do any of you collect with your girlfriend/wife?

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

We have an active and very knowledgeable collector with the "other half" on one of our Canadian sites. Kudos to her!

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

Plenty of women at shows
    Lotsa them !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

And, funny thing, last week I bought a couple of coins, the Half dime had just come back from PCGS, it was raw and from the estate of another older woman who was a very dedicated collector! It was one of the better coins in that estate.

This Collection was huge! It was like eight or 10 full boxes of coins, it covered the entire floor of the office when they first came in, it took a day or two to go through everything and make an offer!

So yes, I think there’s a lot more women collecting that many would think.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Don't forget about Ingrid Smith who owned and operated the largest coin show with Torex in Toronto in Canada for many many years. Her collection , as well, was hugely popular with top-shelf collectors. Her passing a few years ago affected most of us here North of the border, as well as world-wide.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2022 4:16PM

Out roughly 17k accounts reached on FB in the last 90 days the gender split percentage was 98.2 to 1.8

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know it does change, depending on which part of the world we're from. In North America, eastern Australia, Japan and South Africa, it's very highly male dominated, and hasn't really changed all that much in recent decades. In my coin club in eastern Australia, for example, the female membership is historically around 5% (since its founding in 1986, that's 12 women out of 240 current and former members). This doesn't count women who are spouses of "family memberships". For the other three coin clubs I'm a member of, this seems about right too, though I don't have access to historical records for those.

In Western Australia, New Zealand and Britain, on the other hand, I've heard that female representation is much higher. Not 50-50, but a lot closer to that than the rest of us; maybe 30-70 or thereabouts. I do not know if there are "pockets" within North America where female participation is higher than average, but I've never heard of any.

It's entirely possible that coin collecting is far more popular with women than it "seems to be", simply because the female coin collectors tend to do so in secret and silence, so they're "invisible" to the gender-counters. The Internet certainly makes it much easier to be a "secret coin collector" than pre-Internet generations found.

Do men collect more because we are natural hunters?

I've heard all sorts of theories to try to explain why this gender imbalance exists, including things like "men are instinctively better at hunting and pursuing targets", or "men are better at arguing, haggling and negotiating over prices", or some such. The problem with all such simplistic assumptions is that you don't actually need to be good at, or even interested in, "pursuing targets" to be a coin collector. And there are other traits that are important to coin collecting, such as "being good at organizing things" and "liking things that are bright, shiny and expensive", that are stereotypically "female traits", and those don't seem to be a factor.

But the simple truth is, coin collecting is male-dominated because it historically was male-dominated in centuries past (by rich aristocrats and upper-class people) and unlike many other aspects of modern society, nobody has ever really prioritized trying to change that.

To me, the core of the problem is, when a hobby is or becomes this disproportionately male, the gender imbalance tends to becomes self-reinforcing. Suppose a young family walks up to a coin dealer at a coin show. Who is the dealer going to assume is "the coin collector in the house"? They will assume it's the husband, unless there's some obvious clue being emitted otherwise by the family (like maybe she's the one wearing coin club badges or an "I love coins" T-shirt), because 95% of the time, that guess is going to be correct. And if women get habitually ignored at coin shows, coin clubs, etc, are they going to feel encouraged to come back again? Or are they likely to consider finding a different hobby where their presence and input is more appreciated?

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

Plenty of women at shows
    Lotsa them !

Cute ones I hope! :blush:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on attendance in coin clubs I've been in, it's probably ~90-95% male.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    John ConduittJohn Conduitt Posts: 356 ✭✭✭

@tcollects said:

@Estil said:

Cute ones I hope! :blush:

see now this is a big part of why we don't have women at shows

Yes women and young people are unlikely to feel comfortable at coin shows and clubs full of old men. With the internet, they don't need to go. But that's a good thing, as they can participate without shows and clubs.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sentiments as well, but although anecdotes of a woman here or there arise, in my experience there are precious few overall in comparison to older men who seem to make up the bulk of the collecting demographic.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2022 9:59AM

My grandmother Elsie (1896-1978) lived in Chicago and was a coin collector from the late 1940's to the early 1960's.

She had US coin albums for US cents, nickels, and dimes. She acquired coins from circulation but occasionally bought coin rolls to search.

She managed to find some rare US coins including a 1909-S VDB cent, a 3-legged Buffalo nickel, and a 1916-D dime. She also managed to save some Indian Head cents including a 1908-S.

United States Indian Head Cent 1908-S

She lost interest in coins in the late 1950's to concentrate on oil painting and genealogy.

At some time in the 1960's she accumulated a bunch of silver half-dollars and quarters which my mother found in the 1990's on the top back shelf of a closet.

Elsie may have gotten me started with coins by giving me some European coins she brought back from a trip.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ELuisELuis Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WillieBoyd2 > Wow, what a great story Sir.

I btw got the interest from my Mom, she inherited some old coins, and gave to me some, that I no longer have, but I think that was the start... back on 1972.

Also, I have been on some small coin expos so far on three recently (there will be another one next Sep. 11th), and I can say it is 50-50, and in general younger collectors. my 2cts.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that this hobby is not super welcoming to women once they show an interest.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CanuckCoinGirl said:
    Some of the comments on this thread have really been what have led me to sign up. Although some have commented on the sexism and misogyny, it is way too pervasive to let it go with just those. I am adding something that I posted on another forum about this thread before I could post here.

Fellows -there are just going to be far more of you than there are of women at shows, meetings, or even online (likely for a long time)! So, if you are with a woman - or even just within ear shot - and some cringe worthy comment is directed at a woman, please stand up and inform the person making it that it is not okay. You don't have to turn into a knight in shining armor, break out the boxing gloves, or anything grand, but make it crystal clear that it is just not appropriate. I get it that you might never do it yourself, but if you don't stand up, silence is taken as permission, and a giggle will solidify that its a good thing to do. If you are someone well respected, you are even more likely to make the dinosaurs extinct more quickly and provide a welcoming environment for many more, by just providing a few words. Of course you don't have to associate with anyone you don't want to, but why not include them in lunches, drinks, and discussions, and be sure to make sure they are both safe and welcomed! The same is true around LGBTQ++ peoples that attend events - shut down negative comments and inappropriate stares. If you want things to grow, you need to be inclusive, and not let people feel belittled, or like they are not possibly as informed or interested. Some, however, will not be informed, and that isn't a good reason to take advantage of them either! There are also a lot of unacceptable comments on that other forum about what women collect, or related to their relationship with money, that are actually demeaning given the question posted. It's bad enough if it is someone you don't know, but please don't be that guy to the women in your life! If your first thought is, "But that is funny, can't you take a joke?", the answer is, "I totally appreciate humour, but that isn't funny." And the same is probably true for women that were interested that came and went, or started collecting under ground so they didn't have to listen to it, or feel devalued. Yes, there are some women that are going to command respect and you might even admire them already - and there are a couple comments on some of them in the thread. Those are the tornados that probably fought a lot of those battles themselves and were not going to let a few opinions (or nasty names) get in their way and/or did have a few knights in rusty armor that didn't let a dinosaur get to them. Most are not going to be like that. Some of you are already super generous with this kind of thing... just hoping it can be widespread!

There is a fear factor - having a hobby with items of value might make women less likely to shout about their knowledge, and definitely not talk much about their collection, especially if they are single or live alone. Women and men have also have a very different history with money in general, but also buying, selling, and even having flexible and disposable income. Consider that it is actually relatively recently that women could have bank accounts on their own, or their own credit cards. Unless they were well off to have disposable income and power, or a very agreeable husband, women would have difficulty buying things of value. Quite likely that many women have inherited their initial collection or shop with spouses/friends, but I suspect that has changed over time, but if you want real change, events and the hobby have to be welcoming.

jumping off my soap box for the moment

Welcome to the forum, your comments are also very much welcome, thank you :)

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stork is an awesome collector and person as one great example. At the various shows we all see female dealers/employees as well as the ANA YN programs.
    I do hear that there are more women in the banknote collecting hobby, I wonder why.
    As in business, I would welcome more diversity of collectors as it only expands perspectives and relationships, yet my guess is that currently there is a broader inclination to engage in the hobby by men. Hopefully this will change.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

if I were a woman in this hobby, I'd carry around a loaded blunderbuss in my bag and the first time someone disrespected or mansplained me, I'd give them a belly full of broken glass and rocks

sure, I wouldn't last long, but it would send a powerful antique-y statement that would shut down a lot of smack talk on the bourse

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    if I were a woman in this hobby, I'd carry around a loaded blunderbuss in my bag and the first time someone disrespected or mansplained me, I'd give them a belly full of broken glass and rocks

sure, I wouldn't last long, but it would send a powerful antique-y statement that would shut down a lot of smack talk on the bourse

Ah, you brought the blunderbuss into the topic! Love it.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CanuckCoinGirl Welcome to the forums! :)

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife is into coins

PLENTY

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed several women, that I had not seen before at the ANA.

• Options
    Nathan401Nathan401 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

My Wife is into coins, antiques, and all things historic. She came with me to the Bay State show a few years ago, and yes: the dealers were all staring and chatting her up. But in a respectful way, no one was inappropriate at all and she made a couple new friends!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Answer to the OP: NO!

Sad to say, but there are very few. Some thankfully appear at shows but the demographics are just not there. What always kills me about these posts (which is a lot like the number of YN's and whether they are contracting in number) is the anecdotes that are trotted out. Absolutely there are some women but NOT many.
    And many of us are thankful that there are some at least!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.