Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Going down in grade.

WHAT ???!!! LOWER grade? Yep. Just bought a couple.
I had higher grades that just "bothered" me.
So I sold them. :)

And just bought them back in lower (but more pleasing to me) grades.
Call me crazy. :D

Higher grade:

on the way:

Higher grade:

on the way:

Didn't like the smoke ring trade dollar.
Nor the spot on the ABC.

Since I collect mostly for design and not surface perfection, why keep them? The 64 Trade dollar sold for way bigger money than I expected. ;)

What a nutty hobby. B)

Comments

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, like the design on the Florin better than the one on the Trade Dollar.

B)

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes it's a good move. The less you need to be satisfied, the richer you are.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade dollar prices shot up the last couple years. I bet you did good on that 64.

I like the florin reverse as well - haven’t found one Yet though.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I preferred your "smoke ring" Trade dollar to its replacement (though both are nice), but agree with you on the ABC peso once you pointed out the spot on that one.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you collect what you like and makes you happy, the grade is irrelevant.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2022 5:08AM

I liked your old Trade Dollar way, WAY than your newp.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I liked your old Trade Dollar way, WAY than your newp.

I wonder if you would if you could have seen it in hand. The OP showed the GC photo. I just looked to see if I had my previous images but I have dumped them.
    That black ring was coal black with no toning progression from the bright center. Every time I looked at my coins, it would GLARE out at me with that unnatural ring of ....whatever. Looked painted on. GC photo was a glamour shot. :D
    I once experimented with a black toned Morgan dollar and set it on a Coke bottle of Jeweluster so the fumes only hit the center.

At least it didn't display that STARK ring that the trade dollar had.
    I'm glad to have it gone and, as I mentioned before, I just wanted one for type and got that replacement for a fraction of what that black ring special went for. >:)

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda agree with your move. I have one Large Cent that was graded & certified but appears to have been cleaned & re-toned at one time. It's a date that is hard to find in nice condition, so I may have compromised when I shouldn't have.

On the flip side, I stupidly sold a really nice 1813 Large Cent that didn't grade for whatever reason, and I've yet to come upon one that is remotely comparable in that price range.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Since I had sold a GB trade dollar that did not please me at all.
    And....since GB trade dollars have suddenly reached for the stratosphere (with hundred listed all over the place)
    And....since all I wanted was the design.
    And.... since the 53 (in hand) looks way better than the OP
    Soo..... that's what I did. I ....still... like the florin better than the trade dollar.

So there. :D

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

You did what made sense to you and are happy with the result, so congrats!
    And I like the lower grade Peso more too (the spot is distracting on the higher graded one).