Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1968 topps baseball back question

i bought a 1968 topps clemente and started looking at the condition a little closer. i noticed that the back looked a little darker than i thought 1968's should be. so i compared it to a couple of 1968 hank aaron's i have. the back was definitely a little darker color, but what really made me want to run this by the board was the the color of the oval at the bottom part of the card, where they have a q and a section. that part on the clemente is a gray color, not off white or white. reminds me of the 1981 opc or the 1954 topps versions.

anyone know anything about this?

thanks in advance.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

also the area at the top of the card that gives the player vitals is gray not white or off white.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures??

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aaron’s could be Milton Bradley with different back color that you are comparing. Yes on pictures

• Options

@dan89 said:
    Aaron’s could be Milton Bradley with different back color that you are comparing. Yes on pictures

the two aaron's are graded by psa. not milton bradley. i will try to post a pic later.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I don't have a MB Aaron, but here's the difference between a MB and a Topps on the back, it's not just the different yellow but also a different paper color.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thumbed through my box of 68 commons. I believe this is a good representation of what the OP is describing. Some backs are more white than others, some more gray. I think that was pretty common for the era. I've noticed it in the 69 and 70 sets, also.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    Thumbed through my box of 68 commons. I believe this is a good representation of what the OP is describing. Some backs are more white than others, some more gray. I think that was pretty common for the era. I've noticed it in the 69 and 70 sets, also.

THIS LOOKS PERFECT. My Aaron's are the lighter color and the clemente i just got is the darker color.