Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone else having poor results with consignments?

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

So last year I decided to try the consignment business sending my cards for ebay auction. Had poor results. Tried it again this year and once again got VERY poor sales out of my cards. Lesson learned. I know I would've had alot better results if I used Buy it now's on ebay. I think I will just keep my cards instead of giving them away for peanuts.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Offer them here on BST?

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

what have you been consigning?

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad time to sell. Great time to buy

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Summer time is always the slow time
    Spring and winter is way better

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I am not a big time seller, but did well with consignments in 2020 and 2021. As for 2022, I am on hold status in terms of sales and buying if I see something I like. Unless you really need to money, sales can be brutal at this time.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

The difference between asking prices and where they're actually selling on auctions is about as wide as I've seen in many years, and I've been collecting steadily since 1970.

Personally, I can't see paying up for anything these days.

At the National, dealers were asking moon money for really sharp vintage cards. I was thinking the whole time, I really ought to be selling my collection here now if that's what they're getting. Though I budgeted plenty, I purchased just two low priced, relatively rare cards in total.

I'm not criticizing the National; it was great, but as a buyer it wasn't very satisfying.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@53BKid said:
    The difference between asking prices and where they're actually selling on auctions is about as wide as I've seen in many years, and I've been collecting steadily since 1970.

Personally, I can't see paying up for anything these days.

At the National, dealers were asking moon money for really sharp vintage cards. I was thinking the whole time, I really ought to be selling my collection here now if that's what they're getting. Though I budgeted plenty, I purchased just two low priced, relatively rare cards in total.

I'm not criticizing the National; it was great, but as a buyer it wasn't very satisfying.

I agree completely. I'm seeing a ton of range between sellers too. Some have realized this isn't 2021 and have priced to move things. Others don't seem to have noticed things have come down and are way overpriced. It makes it more fun as a buyer.

Maybe not so much for the sellers though...

• Options

I can't figure out how the hell any sellers are actually making any money !!!