Home Q & A Forum
Options

Same coin, but PCGS gave different grades..

james2000james2000 Posts: 3
edited August 5, 2022 9:59AM in Q & A Forum

A quick summary it was in PCGS slab, someone did coin conservation and crossed over to NGC.
Then I crossed it back to PCGS and was downgraded from MS66+ to MS66.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the risk of the crackout game.
    Not sure why someone would crack that out of a 6+ holder, it doesn't look like it has a shot at 67 IMO.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grading is a subjective opinion. Since it left the original PCGS holder and then was “handled” by NGC, once it then is submitted as a cross to PCGS, there is no guarantee what the grade will be when it crosses. HOWEVER, on the submission form to cross, there was an area to indicate to PCGS to ONLY cross at the same grade as the NGC coin. Had that been done, then the coin would not have crossed, but would have been returned at the 66+ DMPL in the NGC holder.

When a graded coin by PCGS is submitted to PCGS for Restoration, they guarantee it will not downgrade. But that was not the case here.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996