Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Card, pack, and auto multiples from a PSA 9 to a PSA 10

An 86 fleer MJ in PSA 9 is 25k. A 10 is 250k.
A 10x multiple.

What is a pack in 9 compared to a 10 ?

What is a rookie 9 with a 9 auto compared
to a rookie 9 with a 10 auto ?

Card multiples between a 9 and a 10 don’t make sense to me. No way I’m paying 10x more for the auto on the right compared to the left. $120 the one on the left. $1200 the one on the right ? Why 10x on some cards ?

Comments

• smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭

For one thing, card #3 is a much more desirable card.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

The multiple between 9’s and 10’s are going to vary between cards, largely dependent on population report and the perceived difficulty of achieving 10.

If a card has 2 PSA 10’s and 175 PSA 9’s, the price multiple is going to be a higher multiple than a card with 25 PSA 10’s and 50 PSA 9’s.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree with you Gold. The hobby has been driven so much by speculative "investment" is my personal opinion on the massive difference between 10's and 9's. Especially when considering pop report like McAdams mentioned. I am a collector not an investor. Sure, I want my stuff to go up in value some day, but my main focus is buying stuff I like. I'm always shocked at the magnificent jump from a 9 or a 10, and wonder, why would I want to have a collection of 3 cards that are 10's when I could have 30+ 9's ? Easy decision for me because I don't have endless money. I guess if you have endless money you just pay whatever it takes to get the 10.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has it always been such a huge spread between a PSA 9 & a PSA 10? It seems like it's more of recent thing in the last 5 years.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2022 1:21PM

@76collector said:
    I totally agree with you Gold. The hobby has been driven so much by speculative "investment" is my personal opinion on the massive difference between 10's and 9's. Especially when considering pop report like McAdams mentioned. I am a collector not an investor. Sure, I want my stuff to go up in value some day, but my main focus is buying stuff I like. I'm always shocked at the magnificent jump from a 9 or a 10, and wonder, why would I want to have a collection of 3 cards that are 10's when I could have 30+ 9's ? Easy decision for me because I don't have endless money. I guess if you have endless money you just pay whatever it takes to get the 10.

Jeff

I've never been sold on 10s myself. I think they are too subjective and not worth the huge premiums. I mean, I'll happily add 10s to my sets when I get them in my own submission but I won't buy them on the open market. I bet if you take 100 vintage 10s and crack them out and resubmit them, you'll be lucky to get 10% of them to regrade a 10. For my own submissions, it always seems like they're just throwing me a bone by giving 10s to a couple of the nicer cards from a 500 card submission.

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

@76collector said:

Jeff

I've never been sold on 10s myself. I think they are too subjective and not worth the huge premiums. I mean, I'll happily add 10s to my sets when I get them in my own submission but I won't buy them on the open market. I bet if you take 100 vintage 10s and crack them out and resubmit them, you'll be lucky to get 10% of them to regrade a 10. For my own submissions, it always seems like they're just throwing me a bone by giving 10s to a couple of the nicer cards from a 500 card submission.

Spot on Gemint. That is my exact experience as well. Been subbing for 15-20 years. Mostly 70's and early 80's. When I started in the early 2000's I'd have like a 10% gem rate. Now it's maybe 3%. And it almost always seems "planned" if that makes sense. That is JMO, and I'm not trying to get in a big war with people. But, every sub I hit a card that makes the sub "worth it" if I were to sell. But recently in the past 5 years or so, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for what 10's and what 9's. Hell even some of the absolute best 70's cards I subbed have came back as 8's or 8.5 if they are HOFers. Anyway, it has influenced my opinion to be similar to yours, that either there isn't much difference for the most part between a 9 and a 10, or my eyes are incapable of detecting it, so why pay 10x for it, and not just get 9's that look great and I can have a much bigger collection.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman