Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Signed Michael Jordan Upper Deck 1997

I’m glad to have found this forum. I’m hoping it might help me with a question about a card I have that until now I’ve never been proactive enough to find the answer to. I have no particular expectations, but I’d appreciate any knowledge that you have.

Being honest, I’ve never really been a collector of cards. Growing up in the 90’s in the UK it was all about soccer stickers. I loved those. But I also loved basketball as a sport. I used to have basketball magazines on order and sent over from the US. I remember one time sending off for the pack of Upper Deck The Jordan Championship Journals cards (1997). I opened it to find the top one being the signed card below. I was excited to receive it but never really thought more of it after a while. None of my friends shared my interest and I wasn’t aware of any community for such things at the time.

It only really came back into my thoughts when I found it as we were moving house recently.

What I’d like is to know is whether the potential value of the card makes it worthwhile following the process and costs required towards selling it. I appreciate that this is an impossible question and that the value is only based on what someone is willing to pay at any time. And whether or not to sell is entirely subjective. Maybe it’s fairer to ask for any information and keep it broad.

My understanding of the declared value is based on the two previous sales of previous items I can find, which were in 2013 and 2019 respectively. I don’t really know what the market is like now though.

From what I can gather, I think that my route to selling would be to next send it to PSA for authentication and grading. I’m not yet sure about doing this from the UK. There are a few companies that are associated with PSA here but I’ve not yet found anyone that would send this off given the limits on declared value that they have. I will contact PSA directly to at least ask the question. My perception is that there’s less of a market for such cards over here than there is in the US.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for any advice or information you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭✭

definitely get it in a PSA/DNA slab; you'll recoup your investment

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 119 ✭✭✭

Read through the 79 pages of the Grade Poppage thread and that should help you with your decision.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, beauty. Love it. If you’d like to skip the hassle I may make a nice offer on if.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS