Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1751 Crown

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 4, 2022 3:23AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Crossover image arrived. The PCGS photography team did well with the images.

Feel free to comment as to the grade, strike, lustre and the image

This is among my favorite series and I will offer up some observations later

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Just beautiful.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning coin.

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really outstanding coin. I love it! Even crossover?

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2022 6:54PM

Beautiful, the obverse strike looks razor sharp and appears to possess significant luster. Very nice.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a stunner. Congrats.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Stunning coin definitely a keeper

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one MS64?

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2022 5:18AM

This coin started as an MS62 and ended as a 62.

The image does capture the essence of the coin's positive traits. It is sharply struck with compelling lustre. There as a cartwheel effect that easily penetrates the gold hues on both the obverse and reverse. While overtime I have come to appreciate this coin, I suspect it was enhanced with a lite dip at some point in the past. When? I have no idea... There are obvious imperfections on the portrait cheek and to a lesser degree on the forehead of George II. The fields are fairly clean with a slightly detracting mark in the lower left quadrant of the reverse. Based on the number of George II crowns I have seen in hand, the strike and lustre is about as good as it likely gets. So is that enough for this one to grade 63? The coin has a better than average look for the current grade and we can leave it at that.

I was not overly wild about this coin when I bought it and I nearly passed- mainly because I was just not completely sold at the time. I bought it because I had very serious reservations that I would have another opportunity to buy one. The 1751 Crown simply does not show up often. My point is I have no regrets even though at the time I felt that maybe one more to my liking would surface... well that has not happened yet and it may not.

edited to add: Please note the 1734 Crown as featured in my icon- that coin has the look even though it graded 58

Just a few comments about the series... The mintage figures and surviving population for both the young and old head George II Crowns are somewhat of a mystery. Perhaps with exception of the 1743 and 1746LIMA, these really did not circulate much and from what has been written, were rarely encountered back in the day. These feature a high relief which adds to the challenge of grading them. Haymarking and adjustment marks are as problematic with this series as on crowns from earlier reigns... especially James II and even George I.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I was not overly wild about this coin when I bought it and I nearly passed- mainly because I was just not completely sold at the time. I bought it because I had very serious reservations that I would have another opportunity to buy one. The 1751 Crown simply does not show up often. My point is I have no regrets even though at the time I felt that maybe one more to my liking would surface... well that has not happened yet and it may not.

How long ago did you acquire it?

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent coin 'kat.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2022 9:44AM

probably a solid 10-12 years ago give or take a little one way or the another...

I suppose my point is that sometimes a coin may have positive traits that may not resonate with the buyer at the time which makes the decision making process more problematic. I am pleased with the coin and I made the better decision in buying it at the time.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin!!

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I suppose my point is that sometimes a coin may have positive traits that may not resonate with the buyer at the time which makes the decision making process more problematic. I am pleased with the coin and I made the better decision in buying it at the time.

It's funny how these things can evolve over time. I'm reminded of a number of albums (music) that I didn't like the first time I listened to them, but grew into favorites over time. There are also songs that are great the first time you hear them before they start to slowly wear on you over time.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭