Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1984 Donruss

Hey! First time posting. So just getting back to collecting since 1985! Had a very expensive try at collecting current football while trying to get my kids into it. The world has definitely changed.

Anyway, I decided to go back to what I “knew” so vintage cards it is! Right or wrong at least it’s something I can enjoy.
My question is this. I’m working on collating a 1984 donruss set. I’ve read about the size issues with the factory sets. Have you all seen PSA throw cards out due to the size issue? I’ve been using a manual centering tool and can def tell a difference on cards I recently purchased vs ones from my collection as a kid.

Any words of wisdom would be great!

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I use a modern topps chrome card and match cards up on a flat surface. You can easily tell if it is short.
    Don't spend a lot of $. Get the big ones first to avoid price increases.

Goof luck.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in a Donnie 84D pulled from the factory set by my own hand— it was better than my PSA 10. It was kicked back at Min Size. You'd think they'd get to know the details of this popular set and be okay with factory set cards. I hope they have gotten better with them since, as I love this Donnie and want it slabbed before I fumble it and ding a corner one day.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

@jay0791 said:
    I use a modern topps chrome card and match cards up on a flat surface. You can easily tell if it is short.

Great advice! Thanks!

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make sure to get the Diamond Kings and Rated Rookies variations.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Send any min size back once or twice. You’ll only be charged for shipping, not grading. I’ve had success multiple times on second efforts.

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Make sure to get the Diamond Kings and Rated Rookies variations.

Yeah I downloaded the becket set list and it notes those. All my cards as a kid (still have the box I bought) are all retail. I recently bought a set, minus the Mattingly, and it’s got both DK’s collated mixed in, as well as the Darling and Stenhouse w the number. I hate the I handled my Mattingly too a bit too much.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    Send any min size back once or twice. You’ll only be charged for shipping, not grading. I’ve had success multiple times on second efforts.

Good info! Thanks!