Home Q & A Forum

How airtight are the US Mint Lenses?

rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

I've started to notice a little bit of toning on a few coins in proof sets. I'm not a big fan of toning on mirror-like surfaces of relatively new

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers

Comments

• rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Note the yellow toning.. Better than the black mold, IMHO, but really they should do a better job of sealing and keeping moisture out.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2022 2:22PM

I’m think it’s airtight enough to lock in gasses given off by the flag-printed insert that surrounds the coins which is probably causing toning.

Mr_Spud

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience, the fit varies greatly. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52