Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Modern Case Conundrum - Keep it whole? Break it? Wrap it? - What would you do?

I want to get the board's opinions on what to do with modern sportscards cases when selling. To keep the poll focused, I'm referring to modern product (2010+) of sports hobby boxes where the boxes sell for $300+ each. HIgher end stuff but not National Treasures or Flawless. I'm trying to get a sense if collectors buy entire cases anymore or is it just boxes.

Mike

Modern Case Conundrum - Keep it whole? Break it? Wrap it? - What would you do?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting results so far. Some form of box sale seems to the prevalent opinion.

It's somewhat sad because at today's prices, the days of me busting open an entire case on a weekend afternoon are over.

Mike
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭
    Sell the whole sealed case.

I have broken up and sold individual boxes of lower end stuff like 2018 heritage high blasters and was disappointed by the $ vs selling the whole case. Granted these were $50 boxes so not on the scale you are talking about. But a data point that I figured I would share.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

Not too long ago when boxes were going for around $700 I sold my 2020 Bowman hobby case to Dave & Adams for their buy price of $7800. Now the boxes can be had for under $400. Glad I didn't add any costs to the case such as wrap etc.

Yes, the full case usually holds more value than the sum of the individual boxes, as once it is opened in cannot be unopened.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Look what happened to this $95k case purchased from the national

https://youtube.com/shorts/puABtGTz2M0?feature=share

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

That is the downside of flying if you are taking sealed cases/boxes. TSA can open them for inspection.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a sealed 1986 Tiffany Set case in Detroit. When I took it to airport, TSA took it out. The guy looking at it asked - is Canseco and Bonds in this set? I said no, they are in the Traded set.

He handed the case back to me sealed and said have a nice day. I’m lucky another collector stopped me that day!

Mike
  • Options
    mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    Send to BBCE for Steve to modern wrap the boxes FASC. Then sell the boxes

@ndleo said:
    Interesting results so far. Some form of box sale seems to the prevalent opinion.

It's somewhat sad because at today's prices, the days of me busting open an entire case on a weekend afternoon are over.

Same here. Back from ‘08 to ‘13, I busted a case of Allen & Ginter for my PC each year. The last time I did it in ‘13, the case price was around $600 if I’m remembering correctly. They were around $950 this year. And I have no idea how these kids (or adults) afford NT or Flawless.

Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mcadams said:

@ndleo said:

Same here. Back from ‘08 to ‘13, I busted a case of Allen & Ginter for my PC each year. The last time I did it in ‘13, the case price was around $600 if I’m remembering correctly. They were around $950 this year. And I have no idea how these kids (or adults) afford NT or Flawless.

It's becoming a rich man's hobby. Luckily I have enough in stock and enough that I haven't had graded that I still have plenty of time to enjoy what I have.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.