Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Small wax stain on the back of a card..

the spot is probably a 1/2 inch by a 1/4 inch, a kind of faint. Near the left middle of the card. Card looks like a solid 7, maybe an 8. How would the stain effect the cards grade, in your opinion? Maybe some people even have a card in their collection that has some of these issues.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I had a larger wax stain on the back drop a 9 candidate to a 6, 87 Bonds OPC

• Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

I don't own the card anymore, but I had a 1958 Brooks Robinson. Dead centered. Corners were PSA 4-5 worthy. Strong colors. Really nice card. Wax stain on the reverse took it down to a 2.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the issue. For the older Bowman’s that had 1cent packs with one card (in adddition to more expensive packs with multiple cards) they generally do not deduct anything. I still look for them without stains and will pay more for the same grade.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 3, 2022 12:03PM

I am simply unable to agree or even accept that grade. These types of stains come with the territory and result from how topps cards were packaged and sold. The initial buyer of the card in 1958 was stuck with this imperfection. And 64 years later to see a card that was fairly well preserved and cared for grade at a GOOD 2 really fails to pass the straight face test.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the help, the brooks stain is very similar.

Work hard and you will succeed!!