Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

I was given some nice silver certificates, are any rare or special?

Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother in law recently gave me a stack of silver certificates that my wife’s grandparents tucked away whenever anybody spent one in their family Farmers Market / Bakery business. I bought some archival sleeves off of eBay and was putting them in the sleeves and I noticed some were really nice. I took some pictures of some of the nicer ones, are any of them special or valuable? Also, what’s the best humidity range to properly store them? I use desiccants for storing coins, but I think currency likes higher humidity which is why I’m asking. Thanks, in advance, for any replies

Mr_Spud

Comments

• Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    Ted 1Ted 1 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

One thing to remember about SC's is trillions were printed. Trillions.

Unless its a very rare variety, a desirable or ultra low serial (single digit , solid serial etc) there is little $$ demand.

Rare Nationals &
    Lowball Sacagawea Dollars (PO01-VF35)

--- SUCCESSFUL BST TRANSACTIONS ---
    braddick, Omegaraptor, JWP, EagleScout2017, OAKSTAR, Twobitcollector, boxerdad, OKCC, Fancycashcom, JimW, MWallace, Tookybandit, TeacherCollector, jeffas1974, mainejoe, kansasman, Cent1225, SurfinxHI, Soldi, Histman, CurrenSee, jclovescoins, Outhaul, Timbuk3, LEMONHEAD_PENNY, daverickey, Maxcrusha, RedSeals
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrSpud If these are family mementos, you've showed them some respect by sleeving them up. Any note that is crisp, unfolded, no stains or writing on it, is a keeper IMO. You have a few in the $1s. Nice even borders is a plus. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

They look like they were well taken care of

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 360 ✭✭✭

@Ted 1 said:

Unless its a very rare variety, a desirable or ultra low serial (single digit , solid serial etc) there is little $$ demand.

Yes and no: what you say is accurate yet there are buyers for any SC in decent shape. Me for instance!

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice assortment of mid-century Silver Certificates Mr.Spud.
    Nothing really stands out as remarkable or rare. I would put the real value in their lineage and knowing that they were handed down by relatives. Some show minor foxing as seen on the consecutive $1 1935E SCs with slight yellowing on one of the two. Get them into some quality currency sleeves and document their past.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

@conrad99 said:

@Ted 1 said:

Yes and no: what you say is accurate yet there are buyers for any SC in decent shape. Me for instance!

Exactly!

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trillions? Really? Maybe billions?

I'm not adding 'em up.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@conrad99, I would have to concur with @sellitstore that there were 10's of billions of silver certs. produced, not anywhere near trillions. FYI

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:
    @conrad99, I would have to concur with @sellitstore that there were 10's of billions of silver certs. produced, not anywhere near trillions. FYI

What difference does it make? When you get into those type of numbers the odds of someone keeping one are pretty high. They're even higher when the next design (green seal) is dramatically different. This happened in Canada when they produced the "1867-1967" commemorative with the year as the serial number. Only 120,000,000 were produced but they were cheap to keep (plus radically different) so everyone kept them. They're almost worthless over 60 years later (a couple dollars at best in UNC) but people on social media still think they're so cool (& so collectible) when they actually aren't.

I got a couple SC's in UNC (one a star note the other regular). Both are perfectly centred too! But I know they're very common.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

@synchr said:

@conrad99 said:

@Ted 1 said:

Exactly!

+1