Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Just finished reading "The Dark Sides of Baseball" by Bill "Hondo" Hongach

I had never heard of this book or the author, Bill "Hondo" Hongach. Written in 2013, the author details his career in promoting and putting on sports memorabilia shows in Atlantic City and New York City in the 1980s-1990s. Has anyone else read it?

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

Comments

• TsavoriteSamTsavoriteSam Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 11:50AM

Bill was a batboy for the Yankees in the 60’s, was married to Renata Galasso and owned Capital Cards.
    He ran a lot of shows in NY and NJ and usually had Mantle there

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the recommendation. just picked it up!

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Yes, I do recommend it. The author details his business relationships, including his marriage to Renata Galasso, and he depicts himself as a victim of unscrupulous business partners, including his wife (now ex-wife). He obviously had what it took to organize and put together huge shows in the 1980s and 1990s, and he admits his mistakes in keeping an eye on the money and failing to get agreements reduced to written contracts. Of course, this is his story, and his business associates would likely tell another version. Also, there are some good stories about old Hall of Famers that appeared as autograph guests at the shows.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• I know Bill, couldn’t be a nicer guy. Can’t say the same for Renata or her father who has since passed.

• judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Well, there is one thing clear to me after reading the book. The Mick was clearly a great human being (despite his faults), and the Mick thought a lot of Bill. That's good enough for me.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember purchasing from both Renata Galasso and Capital Cards when I lived in Brooklyn in the '70's. Anyone care for as many 1975 Baseball vending boxes as you want for $5 each? Fun times!

Daniel
  • The funny thing is their stores were right next to each other for years after the divorce . They owned the building on 10th Ave in Brooklyn.

• thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2, 2022 1:24PM

Afternoon,

Since my Momma taught me that if you don't have anything nice to say about somebody, then..............................

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Yeah like that happens here very often