Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1930 Halfcrown in the Raw, Have a Look

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2022 9:54AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here is an unslabbed Great Britain 1930 Halfcrown which is scarce though somewhat available in the equivalent of slabbed grades up to MS63 but scarcer above that level.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    deepblue30deepblue30 Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Very impressive coin the reverse is beautiful with a hint of luster or is that the lighting on the coin.

• Options

Mostly the coin itself, just ordinary lighting through the window. If you are interested, compare an original lightly toned coin with the PCGS pop reports 1930 half crown that has been dipped and the strike....People get mad at the "Emperor's New Clothes" but it is tempting to submit this one.

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely example of a tough date. I've always liked the GV coinage.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would submit... nice coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice luster and a hard date to find in MS, worth submitting.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

OK, I give, will at the next Baltimore show. I have a couple of others "cherrypicked" over many years as well...

• Options
    realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

Very nice example of a key date. Surfaces OK in hand, not overdipped? Only real flaws or marks I see is maybe a small scratch extending out from the corner of George's eye... and perhaps one in his sideburn... and they both basically blend in.

That said - and this is in no way related to this particular coin - I've never liked the lower relief post-1926 type George V head. I find it one step off Spaghetti Hair Washington. Is that what you're referring to with "the Emperor's New Clothes"?

I DO very much like the 1926 and prior head... and even moreso the Canada/SoAfr/Aussie effigy.

• Options
    edited August 2, 2022 5:48AM

Yes, I rather agree.

The new clothes bit was for two reasons:
    1 - somewhat ugly handling of the G5 bust as you say
    2 - top grades (TPG) for coins obviously dipped that frankly are not acceptable

LOL on the Spaghetti Hair compare as I quite agree, and also with your choices of better aesthetic renditions. I also like the pre-1920 higher relief and more detailed effigies on GB halfcrowns.

• Options

Here’s a graded 63 obverse: