Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Is the 1894 the Rarest British Honduras One Cent?

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 31, 2022 9:44AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Here is a coin that is quite hard to find anywhere near to decent, and it seems most were lost to the steamy climate of British Honduras in the late 19th century. Although similar in mintage to earlier 1885, 1888 and 1889 coins, this one did not seem to be sitting around in rolls and is largely unavailable. The earlier coins are available in very nice, and even red, condition up to gem level; this one, not so. The ex-Richard Stuart coin is similar with possibly a few more baggy issues, but try to find better and you may not be able to for the currency & some proofs do exist. As few in number as the latter were, this coin as well as several later date coins of this and other denominations are possibly scarcer in currency high grade than are the proofs.
I am not a great photographer but this coin is fairly darkly toned with a bit of soft strike. It is a very large bronze coin and about the size of a contemporary British penny (diameter 28.4 mm and weight 9.18 gms.). Very hard to get around the glare today.
1894 One Cent (and no GTG unless you want to):

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

Very nice! I thought of collecting BH, but already had enough going on. As for the grade, I see a mark on the hair, and several on the reverse fields. I would say 53.

• bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 9:40PM

The George V BH large cents are very scarce also, particularly in higher grades. The 1888 and 1904 are the more common dates.

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • MaxfliMaxfli Posts: 39 ✭✭

Nice! As a British Empire collector, that one speaks to me.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, in hand it is much nicer. Even the best of pieces come darkly toned and show many marks, some to the planchet and some post strike baghandling.
    To Bosox's point, there are difficult ones in the early '40s from the reign of George VI - so a true 63 grade or better for the years 1942, 1943, and 1944.

• RexfordRexford Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish...LOL. I think however that would be my grade with the coin in hand however (wish it was higher but at least I have never seen such other than proofs which do not count IMHO).