Home Sports Talk
Options

Cleveland Guardians Struggling To Attract Fans, Ratings.

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ahead of the 2022 season, the franchise announced its name change for the purpose of “unity” and “community.”

At the time, the team said, “We believe our organization is at its best when we can unify our community and bring people together – and we believe a new name will allow us to do this more fully.”

However, after changing from the Cleveland Indians to the Cleveland Guardians, the franchise is reportedly struggling to attract fans and ratings.

TV ratings have dropped dramatically. One report shows the team finishing with -30%. This is one of the largest declines of any team in the league.

In-person attendance is also down significantly from previous years as well.

Average attendance this year has fallen to 15,025.
If these numbers continue, that would mark the non-COVID low point for the franchise since they moved into their new ballpark in 1994.

Attendance has generally been lower across MLB this season than in 2019, but Cleveland in particular is outpacing the average decline.

In 2019, non-Indians attendance averaged 28,436. This year, that number is 26,582, meaning the league overall is down 6.5% in ticket sales.

Meanwhile attendance for the Cleveland franchise has plummeted 30% from 2019.

There simply aren’t many great explanations for this dramatic decrease in ratings and fan support other than general dissatisfaction.

It could be that many fans are upset with the direction of the on field product, or it could be that they’re upset the team they grew up with changed from its historic identity to a generic name they have no connection with. Maybe it’s a combination of the two factors.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 4:23PM

A few reasons: Cleveland has lost alot of people leaving the city because of the crime rate increasing (And we know why), The average family now just can't afford the luxury of going to games (and we know why), and really, you need a winning team, NOT a .500 team, to draw the fans, This isn't basketball where 2 good guys can get the team into the playoffs, it definitly is a team effort with baseball. I think the name change was ridiculous but if you are a baseball fan names don't mean a thing, that's why you root for the team NOT the name on the back, and now the front of their jerseys!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    A few reasons: Cleveland has lost alot of people leaving the city because of the crime rate increasing (And we know why), The average family now just can't afford the luxury of going to games (and we know why), and really, you need a winning team, NOT a .500 team, to draw the fans, This isn't basketball where 2 good guys can get the team into the playoffs, it definitly is a team effort with baseball. I think the name change was ridiculous but if you are a baseball fan names don't mean a thing, that's why you root for the team NOT the name on the back, and now the front of their jerseys!

All good points, but I disagree with 'names dont mean a thing.'

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

Well it obviously will effect a few fans - say 1000 at the most? Then they weren't true fans from the start. I been rooting for the Cleveland teams for over 40 years and a name change is just part of todays stupid thinking, but I won't stop rooting/watching. Not the players fault - the management just saw a great oppurtunity to sell Millions of NEW merchandise ..............all business, not giving a crap about the fans.

• Options

@Steven59 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Steven59 said:

Well it obviously will effect a few fans - say 1000 at the most? Then they weren't true fans from the start. I been rooting for the Cleveland teams for over 40 years and a name change is just part of todays stupid thinking, but I won't stop rooting/watching. Not the players fault - the management just saw a great oppurtunity to sell Millions of NEW merchandise ..............all business, not giving a crap about the fans.

Totally disagree. The name change is the main reason for the loss of fans. TRUE fans want politics to stay out of sports.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

I listen alot more than talk. I notice once a person's mind is made up on a certain subject ther is no changing his mind.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    I listen alot more than talk. I notice once a person's mind is made up on a certain subject ther is no changing his mind.

I had no idea the Cleveland franchise changed its name and I look at sports news daily. What a travesty the woke generation has influenced and altered such a rich history in sports

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.