Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I am unable to identify this small copper coin

about 15 x 18 mm. Thanks!

Successful BST transactions with WTCG, NH48400, evil empire,
meltdown, timrutnat, bumanchu, 2ndCharter, rpw, AgBlox, indiananationals, yellowkid, RGJohn, fishteeth, rkfish, Ponyexpress8, kalshacon, Tdec1000, Coinlieutenant, SamByrd, Coppercolor

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 1:20AM

It almost looks like a cut down (center) piece of what was once a larger coin or medal? Or maybe it was just struck on a crowded, small flan.

Your chap there has a ruffed collar which puts him somewhere around the late 1500s-early 1600s, timewise, though that's not definitive as far as the coin itself goes. With that full coat of arms on there, someone should be able to ID it. I scratched my head over it for a little while (Spanish Netherlands? Brabant? etc., etc.), but I'm afraid I'm stumped.

One other random observation- if this thing is indeed as old as the gentleman's costume implies, then it's in a very nice state of preservation for a piece of copper that is 400+ years old.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2022 1:46AM

I did not Google the arms of various French states. Given the number of fleur-de-lis in the heraldry there, those might be a good place to look.

Edit- I didn't see any exact match, but... ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armorial_of_France

Aargh. Who knows. Those three orbs at the center look familiar to me but I can't remember from where (edit- yeah, pawn shops, so never mind). I think the three dangly things at the top right of the coat of arms might be ermine pelts.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

Well done, @1984worldcoins ! That one had me stumped.

• Options

I see my suspicions were correct that it is in fact a cut-down center fragment rather than a whole coin.