Home Sports Talk
Options

Directv Loyalty offer NFL Package

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got off the phone with Directv. Our bill had gotten to the outrageous spruce of $182.00 a month plus 6 months of the NFL Package + at $30.00 a month. I was able to cancel a bunch of stuff we seldom watch. Also we were given a loyalty reward of $30 a month for 12 months and the free NFL Package + this year. Total savings for a 20 minute phone call? $1900.00. That’s like a tax refund!
As with most people we find ourselves streaming more and more but I still gotta have my out of area football for the Bills. This year the Bills look to have 8 prime time games so half a season everyone can see them. Thank you Directv.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can stream almost every movie, tv show, and sporting event for free. Over the years these sites change. You have to find them. And I recommend an ad blocker.

But I have to watch on my Chromebook or phone. I have to connect my Chromebook to my tv (which is not smart) to watch on a bigger screen. Buffering and disconnecting is an issue. So I understand why people pay for these things.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    You can stream almost every movie, tv show, and sporting event for free. Over the years these sites change. You have to find them. And I recommend an ad blocker.

But I have to watch on my Chromebook or phone. I have to connect my Chromebook to my tv (which is not smart) to watch on a bigger screen. Buffering and disconnecting is an issue. So I understand why people pay for these things.

I know I could stream but nothing says satisfaction like seeing it on a OLED 4K HD big screen.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I just got off the phone with Directv. Our bill had gotten to the outrageous spruce of $182.00 a month plus 6 months of the NFL Package + at $30.00 a month. I was able to cancel a bunch of stuff we seldom watch. Also we were given a loyalty reward of $30 a month for 12 months and the free NFL Package + this year. Total savings for a 20 minute phone call? $1900.00. That’s like a tax refund!
    As with most people we find ourselves streaming more and more but I still gotta have my out of area football for the Bills. This year the Bills look to have 8 prime time games so half a season everyone can see them. Thank you Directv.

Wow 182 a month? Did you have HBO, CINEMAX, PLAYBOY channel? What made your bill so high?

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@2dueces said:

Wow 182 a month? Did you have HBO, CINEMAX, PLAYBOY channel? What made your bill so high?

No playboy channel. Just all the movie channels. My wife doesn’t watch anything with commercials, no regular TV, just movies. We’ve had these channels long before there was a thing called streaming.
    Now with Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Tubi, Hulu etc we watch less and less Directv

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

I know I could stream but nothing says satisfaction like seeing it on a OLED 4K HD big screen.

That's kind of what I was inferring. I don't even have a newer tv. I am still using an LCD and a plasma from the "pre smart" era. Both still serving me well. But when I stream something, I'm not even getting that quality. I remember you talking about your wife and you enjoying movies together. I think if my wife and I did that more we might look more into our setup.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m at $170 a month no premium movie channels.
    I do get root sports and the only sport I really watch is college basket (Gonzaga). I have been meaning to find the time to call them up. I have done that in the past and get them worked down to $100 a month with 4 TVs and their fancy on demand box

Martin

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

Touche! I get to watch all the Browns games because of the local channel contracts, and then Thursday night Nfl games, Sunday night games, and also the 4 o'clock NFL games on Sunday if the Browns play at 1, for free as I cut the cable. That is actually enough NFL for me for a one week period.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    edited July 30, 2022 6:23PM

@Steven59 said:
    Touche! I get to watch all the Browns games because of the local channel contracts, and then Thursday night Nfl games, Sunday night games, and also the 4 o'clock NFL games on Sunday if the Browns play at 1, for free as I cut the cable. That is actually enough NFL for me for a one week period.

I’m in Texas and a die hard Bills fan. Unfortunately all I see locally is Dallas and Saints games

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:

I’m in Texas and a die hard Bills fan. Unfortunately all I see locally is Dallas and Saints games

OH, I feel for ya. I live about 25 miles West of Cleveland so I get their broadcasts. And the local channels will televise the late NFL game (4PM) so I get at least 2 games on Sunday - then the local channels also do the thursday night game and the sunday night game - I can't complain except for baseball I get NO Indians Gaurdinas games. And no Cavs games - so probably gonna have to find a NBA streaming service just for their games this year - their season seems to be getting kind of interesting!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished upgrading my tv. Had a local guy set it up and I think I am now in tv NIRVANA!!

I have an LG 65 inch, OLED, 4k, with a SONOS Atmos 5.1 soundbar and a SONOS subwoofer. So, I'm in for about $3.5k, and the tax, but the pic is speechless good. In the vernacular of my New England area home, it would be referred to as wicked good.

4k of course is 4 times the HD pic, referred to as UHD. The OLED provides for a screen about as thick as your cell phone, QLED will be thicker. It's just amazing what can come out of such a thin screen. I've cranked up some oldies, and the soundbar doesn't miss a beat. Watched a James Bond last night in 4k (No Time To Die), the soundbar and subwoofer really added to the realism of the moment with thundering lows when needed. Just watched a David Attenborough Documentary about a certain way of life in Japan, utilizing a water source to fish and cultivate other things...truly amazing video, its crispy clean, and I do mean CRISPY CLEAN. I went from a Volkswagon to a Z06 Corvette.

Prime Video has lots of 4k offerings. Haven't checked out NETFLIX yet, but will do so to access their 4k offerings. For $20 a month, I'll dump a couple of Directv channels to make up the difference.

I got the LG at Best Buy, and the soundbar/subwoofer from Amazon. IF you're in the market and can stroke it, let it be your Christmas gift to your and the wife...pop for it, you will truly be awed at the video and sound!!!

Did I tell you how great this 4k is ??? B)B)AAAWWWWZZUMMMM

• Options
    edited July 31, 2022 8:09AM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Just finished upgrading my tv. Had a local guy set it up and I think I am now in tv NIRVANA!!

I have an LG 65 inch, OLED, 4k, with a SONOS Atmos 5.1 soundbar and a SONOS subwoofer. So, I'm in for about $3.5k, and the tax, but the pic is speechless good. In the vernacular of my New England area home, it would be referred to as wicked good.

4k of course is 4 times the HD pic, referred to as UHD. The OLED provides for a screen about as thick as your cell phone, QLED will be thicker. It's just amazing what can come out of such a thin screen. I've cranked up some oldies, and the soundbar doesn't miss a beat. Watched a James Bond last night in 4k (No Time To Die), the soundbar and subwoofer really added to the realism of the moment with thundering lows when needed. Just watched a David Attenborough Documentary about a certain way of life in Japan, utilizing a water source to fish and cultivate other things...truly amazing video, its crispy clean, and I do mean CRISPY CLEAN. I went from a Volkswagon to a Z06 Corvette.

Prime Video has lots of 4k offerings. Haven't checked out NETFLIX yet, but will do so to access their 4k offerings. For $20 a month, I'll dump a couple of Directv channels to make up the difference.

I got the LG at Best Buy, and the soundbar/subwoofer from Amazon. IF you're in the market and can stroke it, let it be your Christmas gift to your and the wife...pop for it, you will truly be awed at the video and sound!!!

Did I tell you how great this 4k is ??? B)B)AAAWWWWZZUMMMM

I told you that you’d regret not getting it sooner! Just wait until the season starts and you watch the NFL. You’ll be blown away a second time. Wicked good all over again.

W.C.Fields