Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Basic U.S. Coin Design Set—Early $10 Gold

After hitting 100% completion of my basic, no-gold set, I figured the Basic US Coin Design Set would be the perfect next set as I already had a few of the gold pieces. I figured some of the early gold would be challenging, but I just did my research on the $10 early gold (1795-1804) and it’s impossible to get one under $10k. Each of the other coins can be acquired with a budget of $2500 or less, so it’s surprising that there is such a significant outlier in the set requirements. I’m simultaneously disappointed by that, and excited about the prospect of someday acquiring a collection-defining coin.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, that’s absolutely true. When they are available, they seem to be available in grades no lower than VG8. So for a problem free coin with decent definition, that VG8 coin retails for roughly $10k

Yes, it’s a budget buster for probably well over 95+% of serious collectors. Same thing for a Standing Liberty Full Head Date Set (1916), Flying Eagle Cent sets (1856), and others. However, many collectors still set up those Registry sets and participate, recognizing they will likely not get those super expensive keys. Other collectors choose just to avoid setting up those sets, because they don’t like the feeling of ending up with an “incomplete” Registry set.

I suggest you set it up, have fun, and enjoy and be proud of the coins you have in that set.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your take @winesteven —I know some of the series are challenging given key dates, but I wasn’t expecting it for a type set. I’ve already created the set, so I’ll absolutely be working on it. I’m not sure when (or if ever) I’ll get the early $10, but having aspirations in this hobby is part of the fun.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been working on this one as well. My most expensive coin ever purchased (so far) is $4k and, looking at auctions/dealers, I'm expecting to budget at least $15k for a decent, straight graded example. It is a tough buy, especially because I could easily buy 5-10 other nice coins for that money. At least it's a great looking coin!

Fingers crossed for both of us in the future.

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    However, many collectors still set up those Registry sets and participate, recognizing they will likely not get those super expensive keys.

I suggest you set it up, have fun, and enjoy and be proud of the coins you have in that set.

Steve

This is the mindset I have to have, and have been struggling with, for my chopped T$ set. The 75P and 78CC are within my budget (probably) but there are less than a dozen of each in existence. The opportunity to acquire each could very well never appear (or be noticed) in my lifetime.