Home Sports Talk

it's shark week, baby

galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 25, 2022 12:06PM in Sports Talk

so, i've been a fish ever since i was 3 -- when i first learned how to swim. i'm not David Blaine, but when i was younger and lighter i could hold my breath underwater for over 4 minutes. i have a serious fear of heights, but zero fear of the water and anything in it. i could be tossed into the ocean and i'd be as cool as a cucumber. so it should come as no surprise that i love sharks. actually, i have always said it's more than love -- it's an unhealthy fascination. after visiting Augusta National, swimming with sharks moved one spot north to the very top of my bucket list. but i want to do more than just swim with them. none of that cage stuff. this is exactly what i aspire to do:

hand-feeding a freaking hammerhead. when i close my eyes and picture myself doing that, the emotions it produces is similar to the emotions fire hydrant experiences when he closes his eyes and thinks about a Rams cheerleader. or when the lovely one closes her eyes and thinks about Terry Bradshaw. or when

sorry, lost it there for a second

per the title, it is indeed shark week. seriously, who doesn't tune in to the discovery channel the last week of July? if you don't, you should. it's fantastic. and here, allow me to provide the impetus. i saw this recently. the clip is something you'd see in a movie. except it was very, very real. i said up above that nothing in the water could unnerve me. well, i lied. even with my affinity for water and sharks, i fail to conjure up another scenario that would compel me to crap myself quicker than this. watch until the very end, and just imagine if this was you.

and yes, he made it.

enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-JO9TX-hA

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was one of the downsides to not having cable, my kids and I loved shark week. Flashback to when Shaq jumped in with one...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5bs_cSXdk

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eric i never saw that, thanks for sharing

i'm green with envy. had that been me they probably would have forced me out of the water cuz i would have been trying to grab one of those reef sharks

edited July 25, 2022 1:05PM

@galaxy27 said:
    Eric i never saw that, thanks for sharing

i'm green with envy. had that been me they probably would have forced me out of the water cuz i would have been trying to grab one of those reef sharks

I almost drowned as a kid swimming at a beach in NH where my old man had to literally come save me from the undertow pulling me in deeper. I still going swimming every now and then but its never been a favorite pastime of mine and I'll enjoy watching the sharks from a fairly safe distance lol.

edit: I could be wrong but I think that was Rob Riggle in the water with Shaq.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interest in seeing sharks is from the comfort of my couch, or at an aquarium, or from the shore, or from the deck of a large boat that is in calm water.

I have no interest in swimming with sharks, at all.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

duunnn dunnn... duuuunnnn duun... duuunnnnnnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn dunnnn

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

i'm transfixed by the speed and agility of makos

i think i posted this before, but it's worth watching again. check out this bad boy sucking up this boat

if the Bears had makos for wide receivers we might win 3 games this year

https://youtube.com/shorts/ixEcbkYoGjI?feature=share

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not an aficionado of sharks like you are galaxy but hammerheads have always intrigued me. How they evolved, etc..

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 8:32PM

@galaxy27 said:

............when i close my eyes and picture.......... the emotions it produces is similar to the emotions fire hydrant experiences when he closes his eyes and thinks about a Rams cheerleader. or when the lovely one closes her eyes and thinks about Terry Bradshaw.

You nailed it Galixico! I don't know what has caused more turmoil in my domistacated life 🏃👰........The autographed poster on the bedroom wall with all the lipstick kisses on it that the Rams cheerleaders gave me as a going away present when they left for St. Louis....We were all heartbroken.......or.....that Damn Terry Bradshaw scrapbook she put together when she was 14 years old and to this day keeps on her nightstand!
    She Loves This?......

And I Love This!!!!!.....Well, Not Completely..... But You Get The Picture

It's been a rocky 45 year ride.....But we're still hanging in there together..... Despite my superior judgement for playmates!

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    so, i've been a fish ever since i was 3 -- when i first learned how to swim. i'm not David Blaine, but when i was younger and lighter i could hold my breath underwater for over 4 minutes. i have a serious fear of heights, but zero fear of the water and anything in it. i could be tossed into the ocean and i'd be as cool as a cucumber. so it should come as no surprise that i love sharks. actually, i have always said it's more than love -- it's an unhealthy fascination. after visiting Augusta National, swimming with sharks moved one spot north to the very top of my bucket list. but i want to do more than just swim with them. none of that cage stuff. this is exactly what i aspire to do:

hand-feeding a freaking hammerhead. when i close my eyes and picture myself doing that, the emotions it produces is similar to the emotions fire hydrant experiences when he closes his eyes and thinks about a Rams cheerleader. or when the lovely one closes her eyes and thinks about Terry Bradshaw. or when

sorry, lost it there for a second

per the title, it is indeed shark week. seriously, who doesn't tune in to the discovery channel the last week of July? if you don't, you should. it's fantastic. and here, allow me to provide the impetus. i saw this recently. the clip is something you'd see in a movie. except it was very, very real. i said up above that nothing in the water could unnerve me. well, i lied. even with my affinity for water and sharks, i fail to conjure up another scenario that would compel me to crap myself quicker than this. watch until the very end, and just imagine if this was you.

and yes, he made it.

enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f-JO9TX-hA

I've always heard a lot of great things about shark week. Never watched it. But I think there was a thread here before and I checked out so e clips. I'll have to check out some more videos.

edited July 25, 2022 3:08PM

O.K.,....Alphy.....I hit the wrong button..... I'm stupid!...... I'm trying to get better.......it's a work in progress.....😂

Elvis IS The King

edited July 25, 2022 5:06PM

Galixico....these are my two most favorite photos of Ram Cheerleaders......I took the pictures myself at an intimate little barbecue get together I thru here on the ranch when The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ was visiting her sick sister....Wish you coulda' been here..... TALK ABOUT EMOTIONS?!?!?!......OH, BROTHER!!!

P.S. The Hired Help.....Shirley.....

Oh, Well.......Nothing's perfect....

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I was laid up several weeks this time of year recuperating at home and I watched shark
    week all the time.
    Favorite story was the teenage girl, Paige Winter, who survived an attack in shallow water.
    Her Dad fought off the shark after hearing her screams although she lost a leg in the attack.
    Her determination, resolve, and optimistic attitude was just amazing to watch on TV.
    I remember her saying after the attack, and after she lost a leg, she said to her Dad, "now don't be
    too mad at it, it was just a shark being a shark".
    Picture of her..............................

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm transfixed by the speed and agility of makos

i think i posted this before, but it's worth watching again. check out this bad boy sucking up this boat

if the Bears had makos for wide receivers we might win 3 games this year

https://youtube.com/shorts/ixEcbkYoGjI?feature=share

Maybe Velus Jones Jr. will be that mako!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am absolutely terrified of Sharks

Terrified

@Hydrant said:

@galaxy27 said:

............when i close my eyes and picture.......... the emotions it produces is similar to the emotions fire hydrant experiences when he closes his eyes and thinks about a Rams cheerleader. or when the lovely one closes her eyes and thinks about Terry Bradshaw.

You nailed it Galixico! I don't know what has caused more turmoil in my domistacated life.......The autographed poster on the bedroom wall with all the lipstick kisses on it that the Rams cheerleaders gave me as a going away present when they left for St. Louis....We were all heartbroken.......or.....that Damn Terry Bradshaw scrapbook she put together when she was 14 years old and to this day keeps on her nightstand!
    She Loves This?......

And I Love This!!!!!.....Well, Not Completely..... But You Get The Picture

It's been a rocky 45 year ride.....But we're still hanging in there together..... Despite my superior judgement for playmates!

I guess we should all be thankful that Hydrant passed up wearing his cheerleader costume in this one. 😉😂😉🤣

@erikthredd said:

I guess we should all be thankful that Hydrant passed up wearing his cheerleader costume in this one. 😉😂😉🤣

I just want to know where the (second from left) cheerleader's left hand is?

@Alfonz24 said:

true story

yesterday at work i spaced out for a moment and for some inexplicable reason that picture and this post came to the forefront of my mind

i started belly laughing and got caught

when asked what was so funny i really had to scramble to save face

i'm gonna tie this puppy up in a bow with one last vid. i've seen a lot of idiotic things in my life, and more often than not i'm somehow involved when they go down. but i can honestly say that this is something i would never do, regardless of how many beers i've imbibed. i remember watching this many years ago, and the clip bears its age out with the graininess. but trust me, you can see the lunacy just fine.

so, these two shark experts -- and i use that term very loosely -- decided to risk their life & limbs by testing out a theory. surely bull sharks, known for their extremely aggressive and unpredictable behavior, aren't as dangerous to humans as most make them out to be, right? well, we're gonna prove that's a fallacy by losing our ever-loving minds and mingling in waist-deep water with about 15 of them.

i'm not gonna sit here and say this dude deserved what happened to him, but this dude absolutely deserved what happened to him. and as with any youtube vid, the comments below are often times priceless. the one at the top says, "someone forgot to tell the sharks he's an expert!" first reply to that was, "the shark could tell he wasn't." 😂

and even though the vid doesn't capture the end result, i remember viewing the destruction. some things you just can't unsee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjbH5OuBc4

@galaxy27 said:
    i'm gonna tie this puppy up in a bow with one last vid. i've seen a lot of idiotic things in my life, and more often than not i'm somehow involved when they go down. but i can honestly say that this is something i would never do, regardless of how many beers i've imbibed. i remember watching this many years ago, and the clip bears its age out with the graininess. but trust me, you can see the lunacy just fine.

so, these two shark experts -- and i use that term very loosely -- decided to risk their life & limbs by testing out a theory. surely bull sharks, known for their extremely aggressive and unpredictable behavior, aren't as dangerous to humans as most make them out to be, right? well, we're gonna prove that's a fallacy by losing our ever-loving minds and mingling in waist-deep water with about 15 of them.

i'm not gonna sit here and say this dude deserved what happened to him, but this dude absolutely deserved what happened to him. and as with any youtube vid, the comments below are often times priceless. the one at the top says, "someone forgot to tell the sharks he's an expert!" first reply to that was, "the shark could tell he wasn't." 😂

and even though the vid doesn't capture the end result, i remember viewing the destruction. some things you just can't unsee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pjbH5OuBc4

So they have proof of sharks not liking guys named Eric? Yeah I'm out. B)

edited July 27, 2022 2:04PM

@Alfonz24 said:

O.K., Boys.......Here's the backstory. I post that picture for purely COMICAL reasons..... I think Alphy is on to it!!!!😲. Good for you Alphy!!!....

1)......Do I look like a happy camper?......I wasn't...... Because, just before The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ snapped that photo, the "Cheerleader?" , on my right, rushed in, uninvited, and pushed my girlfriend aside, and got too close for comfort!....... I was pis*ed off!😲......It's a Hydrant family classic photo now!!!....I'll never live it down!....

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hey, guys.....I can take the ribbing......But, that frickin' lower body itching sensation that has plagued me ever since then... ITS INTOLERABLE!!!!😵

Hey, Alphy.....I never noticed that before..... HILARIOUS!!!!.... The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant is out getting her hair and nails done right now.......can't wait till she gets home and I show her your take on the matter!😂😂😂😂

edited July 27, 2022 2:21PM

@erikthredd said:

Erikbaby, That is my cheerleader costume!... Only thing missing is my pom-poms!....I dropped them because of the severe psychological shock trauma I went through during the episode!

edited July 27, 2022 2:42PM

And,....check out those funky Go-Go Boots that the Ram cheerleaders sport!!!!!.....Oooh La La!......That's a story for another day.........Ahaaa....I'll leave y'all hangin' for now.....

edited July 27, 2022 3:38PM

Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see....

He was the "FIRST!".....

Dig those Go-Go Boots!!!!

edited July 28, 2022 7:57AM

Looks like I found the Slam Dunk contest of the marine world. B)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yay9cTATgZY

Contestant #1 would be 5-9 Nate Robinson with not the greatest throwdown but you still give it a 47 because of how short he is and he got it on his first try.
    Contestant #2 would be any random NBA player asked to fill out the roster for that year,we'll call him Dennis Smith Jr and give him a 43 for a pretty MEH result.
    Then Contestant #3 shows everyone that in his enviroment he is unmatched. Vince Carter's power & hangtime is just a thing to behold. You give him a 50 but also realize that his number should be much higher.

All kidding aside,seeing a shark breach like this must be amazing being there in the moment.

that was awesome @erikthredd

to put it into perspective...

i think MJ had a 48" vertical

that roughly 1,500-lb fish went 180" thrusting out of the water

here's the still shot, which must have been the pinnacle for that photographer:

just a whale, but still impressive.