Home Sports Talk

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were Brad Stevens, the only way that I would make this deal is if Jaylen Brown tells me in advance that he's not interested in extending his contract when it expires at the end of the 2023-24 season. His next deal will be for full max money (32-36M/yr) so it won't be about money if he leaves,it would be about not wanting to keep playing in Boston because he's mentioned on numerous occasions how hard it is playing for this town and these fans with expectations as high as they are with Championship or bust.
    If he doesn't want to commit then I would think about making this move for KD but not by including Marcus Smart on top of Jaylen Brown & picks. There's a reason why Durant is still a Brooklyn Net and its because no team has offered any package of players & picks that are comparable to Boston including Brown in a trade, no way would I add Smart too.

My offer would be Jaylen Brown,Derrick White and two unprotected first round picks for Durant. If Brooklyn wants to include Seth Curry as part of the deal I'd probably include an additional protected first rounder. If this deal isn't good enough for Brooklyn then so be it. Boston can always find a different trade partner for Brown over the next 2 seasons if he really wants to go play elsewhere and get back a package of players that better fit their timeline than a 34yr old Durant.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jaylen Brown responded to this story by tweeting "smh". I think the Nets are hell bent on getting Marcus Smart in the deal, I'll stay glued to this for the latest developments.

@doubledragon said:
    Jaylen Brown responded to this story by tweeting "smh". I think the Nets are hell bent on getting Marcus Smart in the deal, I'll stay glued to this for the latest developments.

I honestly think this is nothing more than someone connected to the Nets leaking a trade proposal from a few weeks back hoping to drum up more interest in a KD trade when the news on that front has slowed considerably over the past month. Since the NBA summer league has concluded, not much has been going on and this looks/sounds like ESPN drumming clickbait material as a favor to someone with the Nets. None of this story is anything new that wasn't already known 3-4 weeks ago.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

I honestly think this is nothing more than someone connected to the Nets leaking a trade proposal from a few weeks back hoping to drum up more interest in a KD trade when the news on that front has slowed considerably over the past month. Since the NBA summer league has concluded, not much has been going on and this looks/sounds like ESPN drumming clickbait material as a favor to someone with the Nets. None of this story is anything new that wasn't already known 3-4 weeks ago.

That's what I just read online a few minutes ago, these aren't fresh talks., damn ESPN.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

A news report issued recently stated that the Nets were willing to trade KD to the GSW provided that GSW give to the Nets in return the following:

1. James Wiseman,
    2. Jordan Poole,
    3. Jonathan Kuminga,
    4. Moses Moody,
    5. Andrew Wiggins and
    6. future draft pickS.

The report also said that the GSW are not interested in this trade (no surprise to me).

The topic of where KD, Kyrie and Russell Westbrook will play during the 2022-2023 NBA season will be the topic of continuous conversation across multiple sports and pop culture media platforms from now until the trade deadline next winter.

Why you ask?

Simple, these players for some reason, drive ratings up and thus drive up revenue for media platforms.

@SanctionII said:
    A news report issued recently stated that the Nets were willing to trade KD to the GSW provided that GSW give to the Nets in return the following:

1. James Wiseman,
    2. Jordan Poole,
    3. Jonathan Kuminga,
    4. Moses Moody,
    5. Andrew Wiggins and
    6. future draft pickS.

The report also said that the GSW are not interested in this trade (no surprise to me).

The topic of where KD, Kyrie and Russell Westbrook will play during the 2022-2023 NBA season will be the topic of continuous conversation across multiple sports and pop culture media platforms from now until the trade deadline next winter.

Why you ask?

Simple, these players for some reason, drive ratings up and thus drive up revenue for media platforms.

Whoever it was that originated that return package from GS honestly has no clue what they're talking about. Brooklyn can't trade for Andrew Wiggins max rookie extension when they'd previoiusly traded for Ben Simmons max rookie extension. its called the the (Derrick) Rose rule and teams can't trade for more than one of these types of contracts. If that offer was legit either Wiggins or Simmons would need to be moved to a 3rd team.

I think everything coming out right now in regards to a Kevin Durant trade is nothing more than clickbait because Brooklyn is finding out that the Rudy Gobert trade for five players and four first round picks was an anamoly and that KD won't be getting that type of return for them.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If KD goes to the Celts I'm not watching them. For real.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

meh? Aging star, reminds me of the twilight years of Tim Duncan, can a team win it all by trading away their future for him? We will see.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
    edited July 25, 2022 4:43PM

@spacehayduke said:
    meh? Aging star, reminds me of the twilight years of Tim Duncan, can a team win it all by trading away their future for him? We will see.

Tim Duncan is the polar opposite of KD and his situation though. He stuck it out with his one and only team for 19 years and was willing to play for less money as he got older to help put a better product on the court for SA while leading them to 5 championships.
    KD has shown that he's nothing more than a hired gun at this point and giving up the farm for him doesn't guarantee that he won't want out a year from now.

edited July 26, 2022 10:32AM

@thisistheshow said:

I wouldn't go that far but outside of morbid curiosity to see what a C's team looks like with him & Tatum I really don't want to see this deal made. If Brad Stevens finds out that Brown is thinking of heading elsewhere when his contract is up after the next two seasons then go find a better return package that fits our roster and timeline.

Maybe go see what Danny Ainge would be willing to give up for him in Utah, a Jaylen Brown/Derrick White for Donovan Mitchell/Bojan Bogdanovic deal with a pick or two sprinkled one way or the other would be a fairly even-up type of trade. We'd lose a little bit on defense but gain a 26 & 18ppg scorers.

How about calling the Suns to see if a Brown/White/Grant Williams package for DeAndre Ayton,Mikal Bridges & Cam Johnson works. I'd be most interested in seeing this deal happen but Ayton's new contract makes him hard to trade over the next season.

Jaylen is from Atlanta and the Hawks would probably jump at this offer...Brown/White for John Collins,Bogdan Bogdanovic & Onyeka Okongwu plus some picks thrown our way or another younger player. Collins could slide in with Tatum & Timelord to form a pretty formidable frontcourt while grooming Okongwu to fill the Al Horford role once he's done. Bogdan would be another 15ppg scorer off our bench.

Trading for KD would put us significantly closer to winning a title this season but between our fanbase,his fragile ego and his willingness to want to jump ship as the wind changes I'd rather just pass on him too.

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I wouldn't go that far but outside of morbid curiosity to see what a C's team looks like with him & Tatum I really don't want to see this deal made. If Brad Stevens finds out that Brown is thinking of heading elsewhere when his contract is up after the next two seasons then go find a better return package that fits our roster and timeline.

Maybe go see what Danny Ainge would be willing to give up for him in Utah, a Jaylen Brown/Derrick White for Donovan Mitchell/Bojan Bogdanovic deal with a pick or two sprinkled one way or the other would be a fairly even-up type of trade. We'd lose a little bit on defense but gain a 26 & 18ppg scorers.

How about calling the Suns to see if a Brown/White/Grant Williams package for DeAndre Ayton,Mikal Bridges & Cam Johnson works. I'd be most interested in seeing this deal happen but Ayton's new contract makes him hard to trade over the next season.

Jaylen is from Atlanta and the Hawks would probably jump at this offer...Brown/White for John Collins,Bogdan Bogdanovic & Onyeka Okongwu plus some picks thrown our way or another younger player. Collins could slide in with Tatum & Timelord to form a pretty formidable frontcourt while grooming Okongwu to fill the Al Horford role once he's done. Bogdan would be another 15ppg scorer off our bench.

Trading for KD would put us significantly closer to winning a title this season but between our fanbase,his fragile ego and his willingness to want to jump ship as the wind changes I'd rather just pass on him too.

I might be exaggerating, but not by much. I agree that if Brown makes it known that he won't re-sign then we need to maximize a deal for him. Of the two Jays he is BY FAR my favorite. Not a huge Tatum fan. Brown at least shows heart and has a lot of dog in him. Tatum is so soft, and does not maximize his game in my opinion.

Ever since we drafted these two I've been all about developing them rather than moving one/both for established stars. I do feel that Tatum has had more pressure put on him when the team has clearly been trying to turn him into a top 5-10 type player,which he's very close to achieving at the age of just 24. He has his flaws but Brown does as well. Tatum was dealing with double teams on literally every play when great defenders like Giannis,Butler & Wiggins weren't trying to shut him down alone, Brown had it much easier on offense yet he still managed to turn it over just as frequently as Tatum did in that Finals (23TOs for Tatum,20 for Brown.)

Ultimately, between Brown signing with Kanye's agency and his numerous subtle little messages about what its like playing in Boston I do see him leaving when he gets the chance. If that is the case, then see if this current team with our new additions are enough to win a title in 2022-23 then spend next offseason/season finding the best return package. Don't gut this team before its had a chance to get on the court for a guy who seems like the worst fit in Boston sports history.

@erikthredd said:
    Ever since we drafted these two I've been all about developing them rather than moving one/both for established stars. I do feel that Tatum has had more pressure put on him when the team has clearly been trying to turn him into a top 5-10 type player,which he's very close to achieving at the age of just 24. He has his flaws but Brown does as well. Tatum was dealing with double teams on literally every play when great defenders like Giannis,Butler & Wiggins weren't trying to shut him down alone, Brown had it much easier on offense yet he still managed to turn it over just as frequently as Tatum did in that Finals (23TOs for Tatum,20 for Brown.)

Ultimately, between Brown signing with Kanye's agency and his numerous subtle little messages about what its like playing in Boston I do see him leaving when he gets the chance. If that is the case, then see if this current team with our new additions are enough to win a title in 2022-23 then spend next offseason/season finding the best return package. Don't gut this team before its had a chance to get on the court for a guy who seems like the worst fit in Boston sports history.

I think that we had some conversations during the playoffs regarding Tatum. I guess you could think of me as a huge Tatum critic. I recognize the positives. One of the best players in the game. Two way player. Still very young.

I have a few issues with his game. I admit that I am influenced by following of Luka and contrasting the two players. And I know that Luka has been playing pro earlier, etc, and he is Luka. Luka doesn't have the defensive prowess, and he doesn't play for my team, so believe me I want to see Tatum take some steps. These playoffs seemed to show that Tatum does not have "it". He didn't seem to me to be the alpha. If you are going to a first team all-NBA guy that is what you should be. Tatum just didn't seem to rally the troops.

As for his actual game, he just did not play in a way to maximize it. Over dribbling. Seemingly not understanding who he had height advantages over.

Look, when he is on he is on. But he goes cold and loses the fire. For me, it comes down to the "it" factor.

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I think that we had some conversations during the playoffs regarding Tatum. I guess you could think of me as a huge Tatum critic. I recognize the positives. One of the best players in the game. Two way player. Still very young.

I have a few issues with his game. I admit that I am influenced by following of Luka and contrasting the two players. And I know that Luka has been playing pro earlier, etc, and he is Luka. Luka doesn't have the defensive prowess, and he doesn't play for my team, so believe me I want to see Tatum take some steps. These playoffs seemed to show that Tatum does not have "it". He didn't seem to me to be the alpha. If you are going to a first team all-NBA guy that is what you should be. Tatum just didn't seem to rally the troops.

As for his actual game, he just did not play in a way to maximize it. Over dribbling. Seemingly not understanding who he had height advantages over.

Look, when he is on he is on. But he goes cold and loses the fire. For me, it comes down to the "it" factor.

I think we tend to forget that 24-25yr olds are not finished products and the only players that young that lead teams to a championship are all generational-type players:
    Larry Bird
    Bill Russell
    Magic
    Kareem
    Tim Duncan
    Dwyane Wade
    Bill Walton pre-injuries
    maybe Kobe but he had a prime Shaq winning 3 FMVP's
    If you want to count Curry he was 26

I think Tatum & Brown both found out the hard way that the GS defense was able to force both players into speeding the plays up and forcing them both to turn it over at the worst possible times. Had Boston played any other WC team I honestly think we see a totally different outcome. The Dubs poise and experience were to much to overcome over those final three losses.