Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2009 Topps Stephen Curry

I don’t collect modern cards at all, but made an exception when I purchased a PSA 9 2009 Steph Curry card several years ago as I thought it would be a good investment. Fast forwarded a couple of years and Curry has won another championship, the Finals MVP, broke the 3-point record and has been the subject of discussion in which he is a top-ten player of all time. Furthermore, more than ever he has cemented his image as a global icon and now rivals LeBron James as the most recognizable baller in the world. You’d think that would send this iconic rookie card ascending into the stratosphere, but average sale price for this card is down by nearly 25% now since I bought it two years ago. Was this card way overpriced to begin with? Is it actually overproduced? What gives?

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 12:51PM

The bubble was around January to June 2021, so if you purchased in 2020, you should still be up or at least near even.... The other thing is that there may be way more PSA 9's now than there were when you purchased depending on how many peeps submitted them during the backlog. Sounds like you purchased yours 12-18 months ago, not 2 years, or you just got ripped off (paid well above comps) .... where did you buy it? If you purchased 2 years + ago, then you would have only paid $600-$800 for it.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

2009 Topps Basketball was definitely produced in smaller numbers than all of the years leading up to it (not saying much)

As far as the graded examples recent decreases in price, I'd chalk that up to the massive amounts of cards submitted for grading over the past 2 years and have since been leaking out.