Home Q & A Forum
Options

For cards but not for coins, wassup widdat?

Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

This press release was dated Jan 2022
eBay has announced a mandatory new authentication service for all ungraded trading cards sold on its platform. The service launches today in the United States.

When a buyer purchases a single ungraded card for over $750, the seller will be required to ship it to eBay’s authentication partners. This includes known grading companies like CGC. These third-party companies will check if the card is authentic and ensure it matches the condition in the listing. (They are not grading the card.)

Once the card is authenticated, they will put it in a special packaging along with a tamper-proof sticker and a QR code that links to its authentication history. The card will then be shipped to the buyer in discreet packaging and require a signature upon delivery. According to CGC, cards will arrive to buyers 7 to 10 days after the purchase is made. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

What could go wrong? :s

Authenticated and grade checked without actually grading the card? 🤔

7 to 10 days? :D

Although this will certainly be beneficial (but add to the cost) for many buyers, it also puts eBay squarely on the hook if by chance one of their partners approves a card that later turns out to be fake, altered, or overgraded.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer your question (why cards and not coins) I believe it is simply because of the sheer numbers on ebay,
    I don't collect cards so I don't know just how many are available on ebay in excess of $750, but I'm sure it's WAY less than the number of coins sold in excess of $750 and if I had to guess, I'd say that's the main reasoning they're following, interesting...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay must have taken a quite of a hit on disputes, refunds, returns to get them to come up with this remedial step. Do you think there's more counterfeit coins or trading cards on the bay?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall