Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Double Hole Denmark 1 Ore

AussieCoinHunterAussieCoinHunter Posts: 2
edited July 25, 2022 8:33AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

G'day team,

This is my first post here. Recently got a big lot of coins in, Denmark, Germany, Sweden, South Africa, to name a few.

Noticed this 1 Ore coin had a second hole in it. Wore as a necklace perhaps? Would love to know why, as there seems to be nothing special about the coin.

Would love to know your thoughts!

Tagged:

Comments

• Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Flagged (wrong forum)

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second hole has indeed been drilled post-mint; it is not a mint error.

As to "why", you'd have to ask the person who did it. It does seem kind of pointless, as it's not a "precious metal" coin, it bears no particularly significant name or symbols, and there's already a perfectly good hole in it they could have used.

I can only put it down to "humans being humans", and doing things for irrational reasons.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, it appears to have been done post-mint and, as such, is not an error. It may have been done because the coin was used as a fastener or some other type of tool that required two holes, so if we knew what it was used for previously we might be able to say "that makes sense..."

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2022 4:27AM

@TomB said:
    As mentioned, it appears to have been done post-mint and, as such, is not an error. It may have been done because the coin was used as a fastener or some other type of tool that required two holes, so if we knew what it was used for previously we might be able to say "that makes sense..."

Nah, just wouldn't hang right from a necklace or bracelet using a hole in the center. ;)

• sylsyl Posts: 889 ✭✭✭

I've seen other coins similar with 2 holes and the consensus was that they were used as buttons.