Home Sports Talk
Options

Al Baker - Single season sacks record holder

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recent sack unearthing effort leaves his rookie year atop the all-time list. A second-round pick in 1978, Baker authored a montage that ended with the only 23-sack season in unofficial or official sack history. This came for a 7-9 Lions team in the first season of the 16-game era. In addition to Baker's edge-rushing onslaught as a rookie, he also led the league in 1980 by accumulating 17.5 sacks. Detroit missed the playoffs again that year. While Michael Strahan's record still stands, some long-overdue publicity has come Baker's way thanks to this much-needed update

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2022 3:30AM

Strahans record should have a * next to
    It since Favre took a dive for him

• Options

@perkdog said:

Yeah but did he have 23 like Baker?

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@perkdog said:

Yeah but did he have 23 like Baker?

No idea I think the record is 22? I didn’t look

Deacon Jones probably would have had it if they kept sack stats his whole career

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

Wake me up when we see the deacon totals

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ahmanfan said:

From what I've read, they went back to 1960, which encompasses his career. Deacon Jones unofficially is now third all time in sacks, and Bubba Baker has the season record unofficially. But the NFL still recognizes only the old numbers.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass rushers are a fascinating subject, my favorite of all time is Reggie White, I loved the move he had where he would just sling a blocker to the side like yesterday's garbage.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Ahmanfan said:

From what I've read, they went back to 1960, which encompasses his career. Deacon Jones unofficially is now third all time in sacks, and Bubba Baker has the season record unofficially. But the NFL still recognizes only the old numbers.

Correct. Jones is 2nd. I believe he had 22 in one season. One behind Baker. Baker getting 23 as a rookie is very impressive to say the least.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coolstanley said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Ahmanfan said:

Correct. Jones is 2nd. I believe he had 22 in one season. One behind Baker. Baker getting 23 as a rookie is very impressive to say the least.

I haven't looked at this, but I assume Jones would be tied for third with the three others who already had 22. Tied for second are TJ Watt and Strahan*