Home Sports Talk
Options

Next breakout NFL star?

omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Training camp is here! With Football around the corner and getting a more solidified look at what teams will look like going into week 1, who do you see as the breakout stars this season? Maybe one of last year's rookies that underwhelmed or you think will find their pace this year? Maybe this rookie class had someone you think will be the shoe in for ROTY? Even possibly still that seasoned vet that maybe finally has the pieces around them to achieve their full potential?

Comments

• Options

Feel like most people know "their" teams best but Raiders don't have much in players I feel would be "breakout" as they have already made a name for themselves on the Raiders or elsewhere, or let's face it probably not gonna be making headlines. But in my opinion the one with the most potential to finally get the respect he has already deserved is now 4th year man Clelin Ferrell. I already feel he is underrated since Maxx Crosby gets the spotlight most the time, as he is the one usually getting to the QB's. But Crosby wouldn't have those opportunities without my guy Ferrell out there putting in the work he has been. Now that the Raiders have more help on the D-line, I expect Clelin will have his moment in the spotlight a lot more this season.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2022 8:04PM

NE Patriots defensive tackle Christian Barmore. I wouldn't be surprised to see him either make the Pro Bowl or be a notable snub.

Edited for autocorrect

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tua can’t miss with his array of weapons in Miami

( Big Maybe )

• Options

Barmore is a great one. Bama boy, had a good pressures rookie year, so I could see in his second year now getting more comfortable and really getting some attention.

Tua will be an interesting one. Dolphins made some great offseason moves, but one of those pickups was Bridgewater. While Teddy hasn't lived up to the expectations in Denver, still see a lot of potential in his abilities, plus at one point got the Elway stamp of approval if that means anything after the carousel of QB's Denver has been through. So who knows what could develop with a change of scenery. Definitely one of those situations where this is Tua's year to show he has what it takes or else we may see Bridgewater starting some games this year.

As much as I dislike the pats (it was a fumble!) , I know the big debate for young QB's is Mac. This guy already getting trashed while having a pretty stellar first season. No one can step right in and fill the hole Brady left, but don't understand the criticism with the numbers he put up last year. Think this season he will shut up quite a few of those armchair critics. Meanwhile I feel like Herbert has been overvalued. Just my opinions here, but also may just be biased as for the last 2 decades nearly have seen the Chargers with great QB talent in Brees and Rivers but couldn't do anything with it.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say another breakout candidate for NE might be safety Kyle Dugger. He's been one of their better defenders his first two seasons and I can see him stepping up into the Pro Bowl/All-Pro talk at his position very soon.

@omgjedi said:

As much as I dislike the pats (it was a fumble!) , I know the big debate for young QB's is Mac. This guy already getting trashed while having a pretty stellar first season. No one can step right in and fill the hole Brady left, but don't understand the criticism with the numbers he put up last year. Think this season he will shut up quite a few of those armchair critics. Meanwhile I feel like Herbert has been overvalued. Just my opinions here, but also may just be biased as for the last 2 decades nearly have seen the Chargers with great QB talent in Brees and Rivers but couldn't do anything with it.

I think there are a few reasons behind why so many are questioning Mac's abilities:
    1. His array of playmakers aren't household names and there really isn't a clear cut #1 option at WR. Pats fans are hoping with a change of scenery that DeVante Parker possibly becomes that guy,everyone else would be decent 3rd to 5th options elsewhere.
    2. BB & McDaniels had him playing with the training wheels on pretty much for all of his rookie season and he wasn't really asked to do much aside from game manage. It will be interesting to see how Joe Judge & Matt Patricia assimilate in Josh McDaniels old role as OC.
    3. The way that NE finished their season losing 3 of 4 that final month then getting destroyed by Buffalo in their playoff game left most fans with a bad taste in their mouth on how the season ended. It didn't help Mac's case when he had at least two turnovers in each of those four late season losses.

I'm more on the optimistic side on his year two and while I don't see them jumping into the top level of SB contenders I do expect a slightly better year from Mac & NE than last season. As of right now NE is expected to have the second most available cap space next offseason for BB to add better players to the roster so I'll be expecting more from Mac in year 3 than year 2.

• Options

I think you put that very well, but that is also from a more exclusively Pats fan point of view. There seems to be a lot of overall downplay to his abilities across the board from fans and the talking heads out there. And I have said this before and still believe it, Brady didn't always have big names around him either. Well at least when they would come to NE they weren't always that top prospect typically, but would become known after playing a season or two with Brady. Now again, there will never be another Brady, same as there won't be another Peyton, but even with the "training wheels" on, Mac had some impressive stats despite the record.

I will say that yes, stats are not the sole way to judge a player. Carr has great stats according to all the graphics, but still hasn't won me over as anything special. Wish the Raiders would have given Mariota a legit shot, his one game he got to do more than act as a running back he was great. But supposedly he was injured quite a bit or something who really knows. Will keep an eye on Dugger, stepped up a bit his sophomore year in the league. Gotta see how this season treats him.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I honestly haven't paid much attention to what the national point of view on Mac has been, just going off what I've seen or read here in NE. IMO, he had a very good rookie season but ultimately hit the wall down the stretch. He had decent stats that probably could have been better had there been better playmakers surrounding him. His quick release and his accuracy are his best attributes and his only real weakness last season was inexperience at the NFL level. We'll see how he does in his second go around.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2022 12:13PM

Was there a player that had a breakout NFL Star season last season?.......SUPERSTAR even???....🤔......I think so.......And,....I suspect you know who it is too......Don't you?

• Options
    edited July 24, 2022 12:27PM

I find this topic to be very intriguing...... So,....I got on the old telephone this morning and called four people ....... these guys aren't pikers........And I asked them this question, "Was there anyone you think who had a Breakout Star season last year?".......Every answer was immediate and the same......as in DUH?.....Then I asked The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ the same question...... same IMMEDIATE response.....no hesitation...... Hummm?......Who could the Mystery Man be?...🤔

• Options

Plenty of names you can say from last year. Ja'Marr Chase, Trevon Diggs, Daniel Jones. Could go on and on. I would say though the ones I had my eyes on that finally got some real spotlight were Renfrow and Kupp. I remember seeing Kupp his rookie year in preseason at a raider game and just knew he would be making a name for himself someday. Renfrow had a more standout season as well last season, he reminds me of Freddy B a bit, looks and with his slow but sure feet and hands. Did I guess one of the ones you were thinking?

• Options

Could even put ol Stafford on that list since while he has been a somewhat proven player on the lions for so long, but not the top tier caliber conversation. So was nice to see him do so well, but also taking into consideration how badly Goff did in Detroit, feel it says more about Detroit than either of their abilities.

• Options

@omgjedi said:

I remember seeing Kupp his rookie year in preseason at a raider game and just knew.......

Yes, I was at that game and then the next one in L.A. against the Chargers....... Kupp was being featured in those games and I went away thinking "That kid is so, so good!"..... WOW!.......He's got it all!.....I was never more impressed by a rookie than I was by him.....A couple of years ago, the Bears put a dirty hit on him that set him back......and,.....last year if the Rams hadn't acquired OBJ, Kupp would have set some all time receiving records..... But then again, without OBJ, the Rams would not be champs right now......Forget the rest......it's Kupp.......problem?...... He doesn't check the right boxes so he's....whatever.....Barring injuries?...... No telling the career stats he puts up.......For now?.....NOBODY comes close.......NOBODY......

I honestly believe that he could easily be the BEST running back in the league...... The Kid's got talent...... He does it all....

• Options

OBJ did get his share of targets but having him there probably helped with seeing Kupp's production increase since secondary's were focusing on OBJ. Not to downplay Kupp's talent at all though. By the end of the season he waas definitely getting a lot of attention, especially from the FFB guys.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course I’m going to add 2 Bills to watch
    Gabriel Davis becomes the #2 and Jamison Crowder in the slot.
    Crowder was a good player last year on a bad team and taking over for Cole Beasley in the Buffalo offense. Everyone saw how productive Beasley was for 2 years in Buffalo, I expect the same from Crowder.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2022 9:14PM

@omgjedi said:
    OBJ did get his share of targets but having him there probably helped with seeing Kupp's production increase since secondary's were focusing on OBJ.

I enjoy your posts, omgi......very knowledgeable..... But, with all due respect, on this one you're off......Kupps yardage, receptions, etc., decreased once OBJ became a fixture in the overall offensive system. OBJ picked up the slack after Woods went down with a season ending injury. That's why the Rams picked up OBJ.....to take the load off Kupp. Chart the stats....game by game. And believe me...Kupp is the #1 concern of the defensive secondary....#2, Tyler Higbee....the GREAT UNKNOWN to 99.9% of NFL fans. OBJ?....#3.....Sneaky......Hey, Buddy.....you're a Raider fan so I forgive you!......Raiders Rock!!!! 😁

P.S. Wait until Robert Woods gets back into the mix......you ain't seen nothing yet!!!!....OH, BABY!

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@omgjedi said:
    OBJ did get his share of targets but having him there probably helped with seeing Kupp's production increase since secondary's were focusing on OBJ.

I enjoy your posts, omgi......very knowledgeable..... But, with all due respect, on this one you're off......Kupps yardage, receptions, etc., decreased once OBJ became a fixture in the overall offensive system. OBJ picked up the slack after Woods went down with a season ending injury. That's why the Rams picked up OBJ.....to take the load off Kupp. Chart the stats....game by game. And believe me...Kupp is the #1 concern of the defensive secondary....#2, Tyler Higbee....the GREAT UNKNOWN to 99.9% of NFL fans. OBJ?....#3.....Sneaky......Hey, Buddy.....you're a Raider fan so I forgive you!......Raiders Rock!!!! 😁

P.S. Wait until Robert Woods gets back into the mix......you ain't seen nothing yet!!!!....OH, BABY!

I may be missing the data you are looking at for Kupp post OBJ signing, but here is what PFR shows for Kupp.

No denying 2021 was his best season and OBJ signed 11/11/21 and played his first game as a Ram against the Niners that week 11/15 right as Kupp is coming off his "slump". Yeh end of the season numbers dropped off, but as you know being a Rams fan, McVay was resting starters for playoffs. But watching as a fan always tells a different story. Numbers and targets are one thing, but I know I judge harder the plays that were not executed right but still managed to turn out not being a complete disaster. And with those judgements I can get a little harsh when someone says it was a good game or nice play. But appreciate the kind words and not trying to say you are wrong. Everyone has their opinions. But you did say check the stats and there they are.

• Options

I should edit above. Re-reading what you posted I get what you are saying. That you disagree Kupp owes some credit to OBJ on the field. I would agree with that and stats above could agree with either of us. I don't deny that Kupp was the key guy for the Rams last season. I am just saying that having the threat of OBJ out there means less chances for Kupp to get double teamed and shut down. Rams did very well building a team that could well have been an all-star/all-pro team on it's own and somehow managed to keep ego's in check enough to lift the Lombardi. Kupp deserves all the credit he has gotten and probably more. Where OBJ could take some lessons instead of acting like he is the gift to the whatever team has him.

• Options

@2dueces said:
    Crowder was a good player last year on a bad team and taking over for Cole Beasley in the Buffalo offense. Everyone saw how productive Beasley was for 2 years in Buffalo, I expect the same from Crowder.

And not to ignore you Deuces, will be interesting to see how Crowder does on the Bills. Bills have slowly been taking over as my "away" team the last few years, really love the atmosphere they are building. Seems like they are givign the players enough wiggle room to have fun with the game without sacrificing the dedication and hunger to get out there and play their best ball. Reminiscent of the Raiders under Madden. I really liked the production Beasley was getting, and Crowder should be fine in the spot, similar player with some fresher legs. I am excited to see Von Miller over there and also keeping an eye out on Marquel Lee. Tend to see these Raiders get traded and it lights the fire in them I have been waiting to see before they got cut/traded.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2022 10:31PM

I like your posts Omi, can't argue with you, brother.....you're fair minded and see both sides.....very knowledgeable..... I like that.......Go Raiders!!!!

• Options

What I was trying to say is that after OBJ got settled in, Kupp's receiving routes etc. changed dramatically from before that..... playing at a lower key level....under the radar....until it was time to strike for the kill......and then he did just that.....like clockwork!......and again.....I don't think the Rams would be the champs without OBJ......No Way!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@omgjedi said:

@2dueces said:

And not to ignore you Deuces, will be interesting to see how Crowder does on the Bills. Bills have slowly been taking over as my "away" team the last few years, really love the atmosphere they are building. Seems like they are givign the players enough wiggle room to have fun with the game without sacrificing the dedication and hunger to get out there and play their best ball. Reminiscent of the Raiders under Madden. I really liked the production Beasley was getting, and Crowder should be fine in the spot, similar player with some fresher legs. I am excited to see Von Miller over there and also keeping an eye out on Marquel Lee. Tend to see these Raiders get traded and it lights the fire in them I have been waiting to see before they got cut/traded.

Lee is a long shot to make the roster. The Bills play nickel with only two LB’s 80% of the time. They’ll carry 6 LB’s but Lee sits at the bottom of 8 at training camp. I can’t see the Bills cutting their 2022 draft choice and special teams is a must. We’ll see.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.