Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Online Collection Documentation

hamilton888hamilton888 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I thought I'd share my latest digital creation related to collecting. It’s 100 percent free to use for anyone here.
As my collection has grown over the past few years I’ve come to realize the importance of documenting it in detail - not just for insurance purposes, but also to put it out there for other collectors for the purposes of trading and selling. Sure, spreadsheets do a pretty good job, but I wanted something more automated, with more options and statistics, tailored to sports card
collectors and with a social aspect. In addition, there are other collection trackers out there, but only the basic functions are free and most aren't as flexible and easy to use as what I created.

So, I built myself all of those functionalities in a site I made called collecktion.com. This used to be a personal site, but now anyone can document their collections using it. This site isn't graphically very sophisticated, but it doesn't need to be. I realize not everyone will want to do this, or have their own ways, but I’m thinking there are many like me that will enjoy the process. If you think the idea of posting all of your collectibles on the internet is ridiculous, you can still use the site and make it private so only you see. You'll find out that as you use the site, you'll really get to know your collection.
Among the many things the site accomplishes:

• Document all of your collectibles with images and descriptions, estimated values etc.
  • Share your collection or selected items from your collection with other members
  • Dynamic updates of collection value and value of categories within your collection per each added item. (You input estimated value).
  • create collection categories
  • archive sold and traded items and track collection as it changes over time
  • message other members
  • display a featured items carousel
  • create and maintain tons of statistics related to your collection
    (Such as percentage of items with comps, percentage of authenticated items, number of items worth above or below any dollar amount etc.)

• add links, screenshots, or descriptions of comps (very important for insurance purposes)

• automatically rank all of your items in terms of value in collection and in category
  • sort all of your items in multiple categories with a single click
  • dynamically search your collection or the collections of others by keywords
  • indicate whether items are available for trade or sale
  • comment on and rate items from the collections of others.
  • if people use the site, it could create an archive of rack and cello packs with standardized pricing and valuation.
  • request invitation to play the ultimate vintage fantasy sports card game: Vintagerip
  • site backs up every 24 hours
    -again, 100% free and full site access for the collectors community should you choose to try it

My collection is fully available to sort through in "public collections" for you to get an idea of how it works, but I've hidden all of the estimated values.

I'd definitely be interested in your feedback as well as I'm sure there are many improvements that can be made.

Comments

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Looks sweet! Thanks for doing this.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Very cool. Playing around for a bit on it has some real potential. Submitted one card to test out, loved the variety of items you have.

While I can understand trying to keep the entry form as basic as possible to cater to the wide variety of collectibles, it does leave me wondering how well organized things will stay relying on each individuals description for things like Player/Team names, card numbers, and subsets, as well as leaving room for whatever chaos people choose to insert in their description.

Requiring a photo is nice for the insurance and trade/sell purposes you mentioned, as well as help take care of the problems previously brought up about the description, but not everyone is going to have a scan or photo of every single item they may want to catalog. I did flip through the 2 public collections and noticed the one that was not yours had a set listed with no photo attached so maybe it isn't required, but when I went to add item without photo it showed a message that photos are required.

I would love to see this thing fill up some and see how the pricing pool would work for helping people get an idea on values of their cards, besides spending the time scrolling through recently sold items. My only concern with that feature would be again trusting your user base, as it only works if people are fair and honest on the price they value something at.

Will definitely keep checking in and when I get some time will try to help fill up the catalogs a bit more. I have all my cards cataloged on a spreadsheet as well currently but don't have many of them scanned or valued so would need to work on that for a few weeks at least. Thanks for putting in this hard work to better help the community!

• hamilton888hamilton888 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@omgjedi said:
    Very cool. Playing around for a bit on it has some real potential. Submitted one card to test out, loved the variety of items you have.

While I can understand trying to keep the entry form as basic as possible to cater to the wide variety of collectibles, it does leave me wondering how well organized things will stay relying on each individuals description for things like Player/Team names, card numbers, and subsets, as well as leaving room for whatever chaos people choose to insert in their description.

Requiring a photo is nice for the insurance and trade/sell purposes you mentioned, as well as help take care of the problems previously brought up about the description, but not everyone is going to have a scan or photo of every single item they may want to catalog. I did flip through the 2 public collections and noticed the one that was not yours had a set listed with no photo attached so maybe it isn't required, but when I went to add item without photo it showed a message that photos are required.

I would love to see this thing fill up some and see how the pricing pool would work for helping people get an idea on values of their cards, besides spending the time scrolling through recently sold items. My only concern with that feature would be again trusting your user base, as it only works if people are fair and honest on the price they value something at.

Will definitely keep checking in and when I get some time will try to help fill up the catalogs a bit more. I have all my cards cataloged on a spreadsheet as well currently but don't have many of them scanned or valued so would need to work on that for a few weeks at least. Thanks for putting in this hard work to better help the community!

Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I will definitely make it so that adding an image is optional. That was a really good point.

• omgjediomgjedi Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

Noticed on the messages I have what seems like would be a private message not intended for me. I messaged on it to let you know and also mentioned there but will here as well, seems like I am able to delete the message, again not sure if that would just delete my copy or the whole message. Not sure if you intended that to be more like a chat room type deal or if it's just something in code/settings.

Again really nice job though. And some great looking cards you got there. That Jordan rookie is very crisp, should grade nicely, top to bottom centering looks maybe slightly biased towards the bottom but left to right centering looks really nice.

Messages bug fixed and you can now turn your collection tables into printable PDFs.

• steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty nice

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians

@steel75 said:
    Pretty nice

Thank you! I'm adding lots of new features soon as well

Made some great upgrades. You can now share your collection with your own url. The url and include/exclude whatever you want.

• More upgrades! Document your whole collection with images, comps, featured, highlights, stats, graphs and much more!