Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1988 Topps Tom Candiotti No Name on Front and Bullseye error/variation

Hey all ,

i have been hunting the 1988 Topps Tom Candiotti No Name on Front and haven't been able to find a scan even --- anyone have one of these ? if anyone wants to sell I am interested....

in addtion, i have found 1988 Topps Tom Candiotti with a Bullseye on jersey --- normally I don't care much about print variations that are fisheyes, or color shifts, etc.... but this one is better unique and big in size....

What do you guys think ? And any info on the no name ?

thanks

rt

Buying:
Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”

Comments

• Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

@richtree said:

Hey all ,

i have been hunting the 1988 Topps Tom Candiotti No Name on Front and haven't been able to find a scan even --- anyone have one of these ? if anyone wants to sell I am interested....

in addtion, i have found 1988 Topps Tom Candiotti with a Bullseye on jersey --- normally I don't care much about print variations that are fisheyes, or color shifts, etc.... but this one is better unique and big in size....

thanks

rt

The no name Candiotti is a print variation. It wasn't designed without the name, it is just missing the black ink where his name would be. Like the 1990 Topps Blackless printing errors.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

If I wasn't told otherwise, I'd think that looks like some kid drew a bullseye on that card with a pink felt tip. Are you fairly sure that is a printing flaw?

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

yeah, it was cheap so I took the chance, I thought the same.....but saw something simiilar on the 88s once.....

i guess I find out whenever it arrives....

more importantly looking for that no name...

Buying:
  • Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

@junkwaxgems said:

@richtree said:

Hey all ,

thanks

rt

The no name Candiotti is a print variation. It wasn't designed without the name, it is just missing the black ink where his name would be. Like the 1990 Topps Blackless printing errors.

Distinction without a difference. Do you think Frank would be worth more of it was an error?

• Options

@Centauri said:

@junkwaxgems said:

@richtree said:

Hey all ,

thanks

rt

Distinction without a difference. Do you think Frank would be worth more of it was an error?

I don't think we are talking value, we are talking the intent, and finding the card in the wild.

It could be 100 or less of these vs. if topps was intending to print and then uncovered an "error" or didn't like the result, it would then change to a 2nd or sometimes 3rd iteration....

print variations could be just 1 card, or very few, with no intent by the manufacturer.

Buying:
  • Options
    junkwaxgemsjunkwaxgems Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

1988 Topps is full of printing issue with the black ink. Mostly on a number of players' bottom border and lower right corner. This affects many on multiple sheets. None of these are terribly scarce, which means these printing issues ran for a long time or large portion of the run. On the other hand, there are some very hard to find ones like the Candiotti and Tudor. Only one or two copies have turned up. Likely many more out there but how many is anyone's guess.

@mrmopar said:
    If I wasn't told otherwise, I'd think that looks like some kid drew a bullseye on that card with a pink felt tip. Are you fairly sure that is a printing flaw?

100% this is just an aesthetically pleasing, large fish eye. Ive found dozens just like it across many junk era sets.

fka jacksoncoupage, comc.com: junkwaxgems, ebay: junkwaxgems
  • Options

100% this is just an aesthetically pleasing, large fish eye. Ive found dozens just like it across many junk era sets.

Got the card, its a fisheye from printing based on what i can tell....I like adding to my collection of oddities because its big and pink.....

still looking for 1988 no name though..

thanks

rich

Buying:
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a preview of what next year’s unis will look like with the ads. This one could be Target.