Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Why many professional European sellers still think cleaning is ok ?

IKUIKU Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2022 2:42AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hello
Why many old professional European sellers still think cleaning coins is ok ?
I would take the non-hairlined and unpolished version anytime please.

Some "professional" Germany coin store owner even polishes modern euro commemorative to make them look shinier. I'm talking about +5, 10, 20 euro commemorative and higher.
Yesterday I seriously talked with "professional" seller saying he ordered 100 of pcs of this new euro commemorative coin from mint and cleaned them all because he thought they "looked bad" when mint fresh.

End customer always takes the loss.
What hurts the most is that majority of buyers do not even notice the coin is cleaned until sending it to PCGS or NGC.

Comments

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, do not buy from idiots, what else could I say. The problem is when they do that with very rare coins...

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

As more time goes on, I strongly prefer originality, I even hesitate using acetone!

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

@1984worldcoins said:
    Well, do not buy from idiots, what else could I say. The problem is when they do that with very rare coins...

Exactly. This thing about European dealers mistreating coins is an over exaggerated myth, whose origins I still haven’t been able to locate, but I have been hearing it for years.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about their "rubber-band-grading"?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

The US dealer I primarily bought from as a YN in the 70's probably did the same thing. I'm guessing but he consistently had untoned coins for sale whereas two others I visited did not.

I presume it's done because the dealer knows or believes their customers prefer untoned coins.