Home Stamps Forum
Options

New to the hobby

MajorpMajorp Posts: 3
edited July 18, 2022 3:09PM in Stamps Forum

Hi thank you for the add to the group I'm new to stamp collecting well I have taken on my late farthers stamp collection and willing to learn about this hobby I didnt even no he had . I have started research a few of his stamps. Here is a selection from usa 1949 freedom of speech 1929 hale from original plate and 1c Franklin steps what I have narrowed down to scotts rotary press but not sure what type I tried to use a perf gauge on my tablet but I dont think I was doing it right or it wasn't accurate on the screan so ordered on .if people can correct me if I'm wrong with any aspects. Thank you pete

Sorry about first pic I was using google pictures as a reference

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check with your local library and see if they have recent copies of the Scott Stamp Catalogs. They will probably be in the reference section. Also check to see if they have any specialized books on stamps. The stamps you have pictured seem to be in nice condition so it is possible you will find some items of value.

Stamp collecting as a hobby has declined sharply in recent decades but better stamps in nice condition can still have considerable value.

Note: The new editions of the Scott stamp catalogs are very expensive. This is why checking with your library is important.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello and welcome to the hobby. As 291fifth mentioned, the hobby is dying. But don't let that detract you if you enjoy collecting as a hobby and not for resale. Good luck.

• Options
    mike9199mike9199 Posts: 4
    edited August 10, 2022 1:17AM

Hi there. I also inherited couple of stamps and have no idea what to do with them.
    Also found an interesting article about the most common hobbies https://skillcourses.com/popular-common-hobbies/ and collecting stamps is not one of them. I don't think this statistics is accurate then, right?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mike9199 said:
    Hi there. I also inherited couple of stamps and have no idea what to do with them

Research them before selling. They could be just common stuff or you may have some better material. Just what is it that you inherited?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mike9199 said:
    Hi there. I also inherited couple of stamps and have no idea what to do with them

pictures help.