Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade--half cent

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in a bunch of generally low value coins to a second tier grading service. Most coins were $50-$100 in value except for this half cent that is worth more. I got a call from them to let me know one of the Bust halves an 1838 was a contemporary counterfeit, will post that one if interested. Not the best pictures, an older digital camera.

Comments

• Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I see wear so I would guess AU55.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might have reached 58, but I'm thinking probably 55, I see what looks like evidence of corrosion at some point on the reverse, could be wrong but that's what I see from the pictures.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second tier grade 58, my grade 55, with areas of dark toning.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it’s a solid 50

Mr_Spud

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

ICG graded it MS61, the buyer was quite happy with it.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55. Nice looking coin. From these pics, wear evident on obverse curls and reverse leaves. As far as being in ICG slab, I have crossed 2 without issue and preparing a 3rd.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the AU55 camp too. Very nice!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say it is a high AU as there is discoloration on the wreath leaves between 12:00 and 3:00 on the reverse. Wonderful coin!

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file