Home Sports Talk
Options

Zimmer disliked Cousins

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ben-leber-mike-zimmer-didn-135252929.html

New coach and direction for the Vikings. Colin Cowherd predicts the Vikings going 14-3 with a new coaching staff. Unless they make huge strides with the 31st placed defense 14 wins seems a bit of a stretch. Vegas has them at 10 wins and Swami has them a touch over at 11. But the defense? Ugh.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

14-3? I wish them luck.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2022 8:35PM

The Zimmer bashing just goes on and on. Zimmer was an old school guy who wanted to run the ball and play defense. Those days are gone. His defense was allowed to fall apart two years ago when 6 guys were either hurt or allowed to leave via free agency. Zimmer was OK. Probably more suited to be a defensive coordinator than a head coach. G.M. Spielman's horrible decisions on 1st round picks for the last 10 years doomed the team as well.

If Danielle Hunter and Za'Darius Smith both come back strong from last year's injuries, the pass rush will get a lot better. The Vikings have also signed Harrison Phillips and Jordan Hicks to help with the run defense. That's 4 quality veteran players. The question marks will be the cornerbacks.

edited to add; 11-12 wins is doable IF Cousins and the other key players on defense stay healthy.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Vikings can take the division now since Rodgers has the same type of non existent WR corps as Mac Jones.

• Options

If I remember Chuck Noll and Bradshaw battled quite a bit and Bill Walsh was messing with Montana and Young. I don't think it's about getting along.

Probably just the media taking their shots at Zimmer, he didn't seem to like them, that's for sure.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

My neighbors are HUGE Vikings fans, from
    Indiana btw go figure but they are loving their chances this season with the new staff

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Indiana btw go figure but they are loving their chances this season with the new staff

@JoeBanzai made some excellent points about their defense that I was totally unaware of. If Cousin’s plays up to his potential I’m sticking with my 11 win predictions and competing for the conference title

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

@JoeBanzai made some excellent points about their defense that I was totally unaware of. If Cousin’s plays up to his potential I’m sticking with my 11 win predictions and competing for the conference title

Like I said I absolutely think they can win that division

• Options

@2dueces said:

@perkdog said:

I follow the Vikings very closely and have for almost 50 years.

Zimmer was a good coach, too "old school" I guess. The coach before him was a "players coach" and Zimmer was brought in to be more of a disciplinarian. It doesn't appear he wanted Cousins right from the start, but nobody wants to win football games more than Mike Zimmer. He might be better suited to be a defensive coordinator than a head coach. He didn't like the media and they didn't like him. Seems like they are blaming him for the Vikings failures._ I disagree!_

The Vikings defense which (excluding his first season in Minnesota) ranked 5th, 6th, 9th, 1st and 5th, fell apart in 2020 when they lost 7 starters to injury and free agency and Zimmer couldn't fix that, or fix it the next year, although they did improve a bit.

New management has brought in four free agent defensive veterans and drafted heavily on defense with 5 of the first 6 players chosen in this years draft being defenders. Sorry Mike, we're fixing the defense now that you're gone.

I haven't seen one word from Zimmer complaining about being fired, seems he has taken the high road.

I would certainly look more into the miserable 1st round picks in 2015,16, 17 (used to acquire Sam Bradford), 18 and 19 as reasons the Vikings failed. They did choose well in round 2.

Rick Spielman like to have a lot of 7th round picks. 4 in 2017, 2019 and 2020. Only one year as a starter from all 12 of those guys! I never understood why we kept trading down to get more lousy players. His 1st round picks before Zimmer arrives were pretty horrible as well, with a couple of exceptions.

I am very optimistic for the upcoming season if Danielle Hunter and Za'Darius Smith both play full seasons and Cousins also avoids injury. The defense was very close to being good last year, I think they can win the division.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Kirk Cousins is REALLY liking the new staff! The Cousins "haters" might be eating crow after this season.

GO VIKES!!!

• Options

@JoeBanzai
    Well written post from a true Vikings fan. Zimmer will land Somewhere as D coordinator next year. that’s possibly why he’s remained quiet. Or he’s just and old school stand up guy taking the firing in stride. After all it’s just a business. I’ll be watching the Vikings closely this season.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zimmer, pre-Cousins, as @JoeBanzai stated, had dominant defenses. When Jason Garrett was still in Dallas, Dallas fans were begging for Zimmer to take over.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 3:43PM

Zimmer is the dude that chose an overpriced Cousins over a Keenum who put in one of the best qbr's in the NFL ever for a season under the Vikings system at that time. He deserves what he got and bash away. HST, no team will ever win an SB with Cousins and no team in Minnesota will ever win an SB, they have proven this by 4 SB appearances and not since l977 (LOFL), so they are an also ran with an infrastructure for failure. 14-3? I'd put a bet in against that any day and would painfully go with a Pats record like that this year any day (ouch). They (Vikes) don't have the talent even if they have a better coaching staff. 9-8? Maybe.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

Zimmer did NOT choose Cousins. It's common knowledge that he wanted to stick with Keenum.

Cousins is certainly not the problem though, and neither was Zimmer. When you lose more than half of your defense before the season, it's the fault of the GM.

I doubt that the Vikings will finish 14-3, but I do think if they avoid injury they can win the division.