Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1788-Mo 4 Reales - New Purchase (Under $20!)

OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 15, 2022 6:26PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

This is my first example of the 4 Reales denomination. This one was in an Ebay auction and although it’s not overly nice I was surprised by how cheap it went - I got it for $18. Although the mintmark is worn the engraver’s initials FM only come from Mexico. Very excited to add this one to my collection, and the price was certainly right!

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great buy 😄

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgrade your 4 reales and you will have the start of something big!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

@harasha said:

I still don’t have an 8 Reales so I will have to get one of those. My LCS luckily got a bunch in recently and has a lot of them in the display case. I kinda want an 1804 specifically, so I can say I have an 1804 silver dollar… :p

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just beware of fakes. Quite a lot out there.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options

@harasha said:
    Just beware of fakes. Quite a lot out there.

Oh I’m aware. Even the real ones look fake sometimes, lol.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2022 11:28AM

@Omegaraptor said:

@harasha said:

I still don’t have an 8 Reales so I will have to get one of those. My LCS luckily got a bunch in recently and has a lot of them in the display case. I kinda want an 1804 specifically, so I can say I have an 1804 silver dollar… :p

The 4 reales series is much rarer overall and even better very few people collect them so less competition. To me it is a great series to collect and if I were you I would chose either 1732-1771 or the portrait series (like the one you purchased) otherwise you will most likely get into something that is way over your head. The 4 reales of the cap and ray series would be a massive undertaking but could be a fun life long goal/journey. I do not believe anyone has ever assemble a full set of the cap & ray series and I am not sure if it is even doable.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did somebody say four?

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.